Long Term Effects of Aneurysms

I had my aneurysm in 2001. Although I “missed” the major debilitating effects, I am finding that I am having some neurological symptoms that are causing some concern. I get semi-annual scans and have gone through some other assessments, but still feel that something is amiss. When I had the clip done, they actually found a small aneurysm at the base of my neck. I have since been told that the second one had actually disappeared. An oddity, as well, is that I was told that if you had symptoms on one side of your body, the aneurysm would be on the opposite side of the body. I had a right side aneurysm and right side symptoms. One the major concerns that I am having is with tremors and involuntary shaking. In addition, I don’t sleep well, and when I am in a stressful situation, I truly stress - nervousness, sweating, etc.

To the forum, has anyone else noticed any long term affects of their aneurysm? Celestine

Celestine,
I am so sorry you are having these other “side effects” after your aneurysm. My subarachnoid brain aneurysm was way back in 1970 when I was a young newly wed. I was lucky not to experience the physical side effects but the other effects that were psychological, mental, stress related, emotional, personal confidence and assurance issues were and and still effect me after all this time but not as bad as many years ago. I can only think that should my doctors have directed me to some sort of speacificall related counseling I would not have gone through or still be going through some issues. PLEASE discuss with your doctor all of your feelings( so many are related to the actual physical and emotional truama of the incident) and see if some alternative help can be gotten to help you work through these other problems…if not, seek it on your own. My sincerest best wihes to you. Joe

Thanks for the post. I have a wonderful support system, I am faithful, and actually in the process of publishing a collection of my poetry, which by the way, is very therapeutic for me. I can relate to the other effects (non-physical) that you noted in your post. I will be seeing a doctor this week and will definitely mention my concerns. This physician is a neurologist and the second time that I have seen him. We still have to develop a patient/physician relationship. Will keep you posted. Celestine

Joe Buesgen, Sr. said:

Celestine,
I am so sorry you are having these other “side effects” after your aneurysm. My subarachnoid brain aneurysm was way back in 1970 when I was a young newly wed. I was lucky not to experience the physical side effects but the other effects that were psychological, mental, stress related, emotional, personal confidence and assurance issues were and and still effect me after all this time but not as bad as many years ago. I can only think that should my doctors have directed me to some sort of speacificall related counseling I would not have gone through or still be going through some issues. PLEASE discuss with your doctor all of your feelings( so many are related to the actual physical and emotional truama of the incident) and see if some alternative help can be gotten to help you work through these other problems…if not, seek it on your own. My sincerest best wihes to you. Joe

Hello Celestine,

For a comprehensive and easy read on the situation you describe above I refer you to the book titled, “Stroke and The Family: A New Guide”, by Joel Stein, MD. It explains it all there and much more.

Harold Fernández

Hey this is old! I’m closing it.