Living on an Island ... pros and cons

Well here I am 7 months on from having a ruptured Brain Aneurysm and doing really well. I guess it's only now that the full enormity of what has happened, and the effect it has had on my family has started to register and unnerve me.We live in Jamaica,as my husbands work brought us here ...... paradise, granted,but not the place to be if you need emergency health care.On the 22nd July last year. I went to the gym to have a workout.I was feeling great,fit,healthy and ready to take on the World.The previous 6 months had seen me lose weight,work out regularly and aim to bring down my blood pressure, which had been climbing.Half way through the session I had the classic thunder bolt pain in my head and within a couple of minutes was unconscious.My husband was called,along with an ambulance (which never arrived) and I was taken to the local private hospital in the back of my husbands car ! No neurosurgeons on the Island that day,but my MRI showed that I had a bad bleed.The insurance company were contacted and sent the scans, and an emergency air ambulance was requested ......... 12 hours later,lots of excuses still no plane.At one stage of discussions between the hospital manager and the Insurance company,the Insurance company put the phone down on the manager.By now I was critical, and not responding to any stimulus.Eventually, 16 hours later,they air lifted me to Jackson Memorial Hospital where I had to have an emergency procedure in the A&E department, as they did not have time to get me to the operating theater.My poor husband and teenage boys were in a terrible state by this time.The care I received at the hospital was second to non, and after spending 16 days in ICU after having my aneurysm coiled and a shunt inserted,and a further 14 days in recovery, I was allowed out of hospital,but told to stay in Miami for another 2 weeks for follow ups.Thankfully I was given the all clear, and have since returned back to Jamaica only returning to have my follow 2 month angiogram.I am due for the next follow up in April.I have made wonderful physical progress and I have returned to the gym,but my concentration has been affected,as well as my short term memory.I had just started a course prior to the Aneurysm rupture,but have found it very difficult to take in new information,hence,I have had to delay the second part of the training until June,hopefully by which time I might be a bit more up to speed.I am so very grateful to have survived and to have only a limited cognitive deficit,but I guess I still worry about if something goes wrong,in view of the problems we had last time,but at the same time, we have a lovely life here and many supportive friends.The doctors are happy with my progress and think that the chances of a re rupture are low.I guess its living with a little bit of uncertainty that is difficult,but that must be a common feature for most of us who have had a brain aneurysm.Sorry for waffling on,but it has helped me to finally get this off of my chest, and out into the open.I look forward to being part of the support community.Wishing everyone a great weekend.

Wow...unbelievable...! You my dear are a Survivor...!

Cyber~continued healing your way...Colleen

Thanks Colleen,I'm sure everyone here at the BAF has an amazing story of survival,including yourself.Hopefully I will learn my way around the site soon .... things take a little time to register,lol.

Mandy, welcome...

Overall you were blessed. I was here in the USA; three emergencies over 29 days; sought testing and diagnosis for a black-out (syncope) immediately after the first emergency.

Many of us go through loss of vision, hearing, balance, cognition, both short-term memory and the learning memory, concentration and whatever else.

You, and your family, were blessed with your overall care and treatment results.

Prayers for your continued recovery; when you have your follow-up, ask them about any continued therapies, testing of your vision (neuro-oph) and anything else that comes to your thoughts.

Pat

Hi Pat,nice to meet you on here and get your feedback,it helps a lot.

Sorry to hear that you have had a difficult time too ,and that you went through 3 emergencies,that's rough,but I'm guessing you are well on the road to recovery?You certainly sound like a strong and insightful woman.

I am generally in great shape physically,but I think I have had an emotional delay dealing with the event,so possibly a bit of PTS syndrome hanging around.Unfortunately therapies of any kind are thin on the ground here,but I will certainly ask the hospital for advice, and will get them to check my vision.A written list of questions is a must if I am to remember what I need to ask (smile).

So many aspects to this site,I get confused how to use it,so my apologies if I send this reply else where.

Sending positive thoughts,Mandy

Hi Mandy, from Milan , Italy.
I also had my rupture in the Gym early morning, just 3 years ago ( my day was 16 February, 2009 ).
My Annie has been coiled and one year later I get the PED, pipeline embolization device.
I came back to the Gym …I wish you all the best .
Take care of you,
Giovanni

Hi Giovanni,lucky you living in beautiful Milan ! So pleased to read that you are back at the gym,I have read how successful a PED device is.I bet you are relieved to have had this follow up procedure.The more you learn about neuro science,the more you became in total awe of the doctors and scientist out there .

The doctors believe that because I was in good shape when I had the Annie,it helped me survive,so I'm back there and enjoying it.Wishing you lots of great work outs at the gym.

Take care too,

Mandy