Just the beginning

A week ago I was told that I had 2 brain aneurysms. (Pericallosal artery 5x5x5 mm and anterior communicating artery 3x3x3 mm). On May 25th, I have a consultation appointment with Dr. Malek at Tufts N.E. Medical Center in Boston. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect at the consultation? Did anyone have Dr. Malek as their surgeon? Any suggestions as to what kind of questions I should ask? I'm so glad to have found this forum and hope to learn from other people's experiences. Any input/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hi Joan and welcome to BAF, I cannot help with the Boston connection as I am on the other side of the pond, in UK but I just want to wish you luck for tomorrow and will keep you in my prayers, I had two aneurysms also, one burst in 2011 and was dealt with as an emergency and I had the other coiled and stented just four weeks ago, it really is better and your recovery is speedier if they deal with these before they bleed so I am pleased you are getting the help you need, every time you think of a question write it down so as not to forget the questions you need answering, for now take care and keep us posted on your appointment, Jill xxxx

Hi Jill! Thanks so much for your response! Funny you should mention writing things down...I bought a small spiral notebook the other day for just that purpose. Better start filling it in...lol. How long is recovery anyway? I expect it varies from case to case, but I'd be interested to know how your recovery is coming along. I sincerely hope you are doing well. I'll be sure to let you know how my appt goes. I'm still learning how to use this forum, so I hope I post correctly. Thanks again....Joan

Hi Jaime! I have my brother and a friend coming with me to the consult tomorrow. I have my trusty little purple notebook to take with me! I've written down some questions that I want to ask, but it seems like I'm missing some of the more important ones. Think I'll encourage my brother and friend to ask any questions they can think of. Between the 3 of us we should be able to cover all the bases, hopefully. Like me, it sounds like you're in the early stages of this "experience". When do you see the neuro about coiling? Please try to keep me posted on your progress and I'll do the same. Thank you so much for responding. Joan

Hi Joan,

If you have an iPhone or iPad, considering downloading the app Evernote and having someone use it to take notes as well as to record the discussion.

Carole

Hi Carole! Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone or iPad. Guess I'll have to rely on my trusty pen and the memories of the 2 people going with me to the consultation. Thanks for the suggestion, though, and I hope you have been well. Joan

Thanks, Joan

It may be available on a droid, too. Please check with your brother and friend.

I gave them to myself as a retirement present. :slight_smile:

Carole

Around BAF ~ Dr. Malek seems to be a very good surgeon...

Be sure to take someone with you to the appointment...because they can be a second set of ears...~ Keep us posted...~ Colleen

Hi Joan, my recovery is good this time and a lot quicker than when the first aneurysm burst, I get the odd headache which is sorted with some paracetamol but apart from that and the tiredness I am more or less back to normal, the first time took a lot longer I think because I was shocked and had anxiety issues back then I went to see a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist and she helped a lot, but this time I feel more positive and onwards and upwards as they say, take care of you, Jill xxxxx

Had my consultation today and I'm happy to say things went well. Dr. Malek was very thorough and patient in handling my situation. He wants to do an angiogram on June 4th to get a better idea of how to approach my particular circumstances. I now know WHERE the aneurysms are located. For some reason that was really bugging me...not knowing where in my head the darn things were...lol. I'm still pretty nervous, but Dr. Malek was comforting and I feel a little better about things. One thing I know is I WILL get through this. Reading other members stories has been a big help and I appreciate each and every one of them. Thanks again to the people who offered me feedback! Keep posting, people, and I'll be sure to do the same!

Thanks Jaime. Yes, it sure does make a big difference knowing I'll have a caring and competent doctor working on my head! lol Hope you're doing well....I'll be chatting with you. Joan K

Hi Jaime! Sorry it's been a few days. Hope things find you doing well. Next step is an angiogram on June 4th. Hope there's no new surprises!! lol My hope is that I'll be a candidate for coiling, but it's still a wait and see until the results of the angiogram. Take care and stay in touch.

Something's gone screwy...hope you got my last message.