Just diagnosed. Completely overwhelmed

I had a head CT ordered by my ENT because my sense of smell and taste have been off for quite a while. My doctor called with the news that there is no tumor causing my smell and taste to be off, but my basilar artery is 8mm instead of 4mm. He kept saying the word aneurysm and told me that it’s good to catch these things early. He said he was sending me for another CT, but this time with contrast. I think that means an angio. He also told me that because it’s a follow up test, I should get in pretty quick (4 to 6 weeks). That’s not exactly quick when your doctor just told you you have an unruptured aneurysm. He didn’t say much else, so I had no idea if I should be terrified or not.

I did some research and found out the basilar artery is one of the hardest places to get at surgically, which made me lean towards being terrified. I’ve had symptoms like headaches and vision issues and that worries me. My question for all of you very wise people here is what precautions should I be taking while I wait for the next test? Should I stop doing things that are stressful? Should I stop doing anything that strains me too much? I’m scared to lift heavy things. I’m scared to have sex. Hell, I’m scared to sneeze. I’ve never been one to let things scare me, but I feel like I have a time bomb in my head. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :slight_smile:

-Pam

1 Like

Also, still trying to get used to this site. It’s amazing how stupid I could feel just trying to add a profile picture. Ha.

First of all you would have been admitted to the hospital at once if there was any sign that your aneurysm might rupture soon, so try not to worry. Easier said, than done, I know this from my own experience. In Mar. 2015 I was diagnosed with an 8mm aneurysm on the ACOM. I had a CT and then an hour later I had a second CT with contrast (you should find out exactly what test is scheduled next for you) I was ambulanced from one hospital to another after these tests, expecting to be admitted for surgery. After 9 hours or so I was released with a follow up appointment with the neurosurgeon who examined me at the second hospital. At the appointment he explained that I would need an angiogram first, followed by endovascular coiling surgery. He did not instruct me to avoid anything. You might find it helpful to ask your neurosurgeon or his assistant if you should avoid certain activities, do not hesitate to call. Peace of mind takes precedence.

Due to other health issues I did not follow up until Jan. of this year, with surgery in Feb. I was a ruin thinking about the aneurysm rupturing, but at the same time I could not walk unassisted and was in off the charts pain. The aneurysm had to take a back seat if I was going to survive emotionally.

You might want to try prayer, meditation, music, movies, etc. just to keep your mind busy with positive thoughts. Imagine the best, your veins getting stronger, a bright future before you and you will get through this upsetting period.

1 Like

Exactly my feelings too.

I find the waiting awful. I know those of us with unruptured aneurysms are luckier but waiting for appointments and test results is excruciating. This is all run of the mill stuff for your neurologist and staff but brand new for us.

1 Like

take care, i wouldnt strain lifting, please get help, refrain from anger bursts, dont smoke and you will be fine, think positive that it will be fixed and not rupture like mine did. stay off the internet reseaching, it will only scare you- many have gotten basillar ones successfully repaired, it depends on a dozen variables like location on the artery etc etc, take one day at a time, prayers too! tc xoxo ps ask dr about sex, ive heard people who were told no

I understand what your going through I had a CT on 6/3/2016 for my thyroid and they found an 8mm brain aneurysm. I finally got a console on the 14th and they did an angiogram on the 20th. All the doctor told me is it needs to be fixed and I have another appointment on the 28th to discuss treatment. It's the waiting and worrying that is driving me crazy. He did tell me that it has less than 2.5% of rupturing but geez I don't want to be in the 2.5%. I am trying not to stress out but I am using up all my vacation time going to all these appointments I am worried if I will even have a job to come back to when it's all over.

Thanks, everyone. I don’t have a neurosurgeon yet to ask all this stuff to. I talked to the doctor who found it and he told me not to worry because the first test was inconclusive. My next test is a CT with contrast dye to get a better look. He said not to avoid anything and gave me the 2.5% chance line. He did joke about not running around bumping my head on things, but said I should probably avoid that anyways. I still don’t have the date for my next test yet, but it’s only been a week. The waiting sucks. He said the next test shiuld be scheduled within the next 6 weeks. I’ve been trying to keep positive and my girlfriend has been extremely supportive.

Joyce, I understand not wanting to be in the 2.5%, but there’s really nothing we can do right now but keep calm. A lot of it is out of our control. I think meditation is really good advice.

I am in your same boat right now! Was told I have a basilar artery aneurism and to wait to hear from the neurosurgeon, I was given such little information and none of my questions were answered. Do you have any updates?

No basically the same thing sit and wait headaches have increased blurry vision doctor says that’s not from the aneurysm could have fooled me sometimes I think they don’t know