James is in surgery now

My husband is in surgery now to have the aneurysm on the left side of his brain (its 6.4mm) clipped… Please keep him in your thought and prayer.

Thinking of you during what must be a difficult time. I had my surgery in February and I’m really doing great so I hope your husband will have the same kind of recovery. Take care

Prayers said and sent.

Hi Dedra,

You and James are in my thoughts and prayers.
Please keep us updated

Take care and be well James

You both are in my thoughts and prayers.
Shelly

You and James are in my thoughts

James came through surgery just fine! The surgeon was worried about his speech and right side weakness… Everything is fine as of now but I do know that the next 48 hours are still critical. He is asleep right now of course… its 11:34pm but when he first come to the ICU floor he was talking… I asked him a BUNCH of questions from things that happened today, yesterday, whats coming up in the future, and he is remembering everything. His speech is fine…hes talking & laughing. Being MEAN of course… when I first got to come back and see him today I asked him if he knew who I was and he said “uh…who are you” and my heart just crumbled then he laughed out and said “HA got you…your my wife and we have a beautiful 5 month old daughter” I have some questions though… When will the drowsiness wear off?? I would assume when he doesnt need pain killers anymore? He has had some mild pain but nothing to severe he said… They offered morphine… and he refused that but agreed (didnt like) to take Tylenol 3…

Hi Dedra,

The hardness part is over, the drowniess won’t wear off for a while. Tell your husband don’t be too brave take pain killers before the pain gets too bad. I am so happy, had a hard time falling a sleep and thought I would check one more time

You two take care, remember let time heal
Ken

Dedra Short said:

James came through surgery just fine! The surgeon was worried about his speech and right side weakness… Everything is fine as of now but I do know that the next 48 hours are still critical. He is asleep right now of course… its 11:34pm but when he first come to the ICU floor he was talking… I asked him a BUNCH of questions from things that happened today, yesterday, whats coming up in the future, and he is remembering everything. His speech is fine…hes talking & laughing. Being MEAN of course… when I first got to come back and see him today I asked him if he knew who I was and he said “uh…who are you” and my heart just crumbled then he laughed out and said “HA got you…your my wife and we have a beautiful 5 month old daughter” I have some questions though… When will the drowsiness wear off?? I would assume when he doesnt need pain killers anymore? He has had some mild pain but nothing to severe he said… They offered morphine… and he refused that but agreed (didnt like) to take Tylenol 3…

Thank you for the update. I was wondering how it went. Advise him not to be too brave about going without painkillers too quickly - when the aneasthetic and sedatives leave his system, the surgery site will be really painful at first.
I’ll keep my prayers going that he continues to do well and has no set’backs

Laurie

Dedra Short said:

Glad he’s doing well… but tell him to TAKE THE DRUGS! You know, when I was out of surgery and in the High Dependency Unit I was chatting away like nothing had happened… My family totally thought I was lucid but if I was, I don’t remember any of it now lol. And I can’t remember much of that first week although I was awake and responding appropriately. It took my daughter saying this week that she hadn’t liked seeing me in so much pain and upset to remember VAGUELY that I was indeed in pain and trying to sleep but it was too noisy on the ward.

Thinking of you!

Yeah its very noise here to… he will fall asleep then in 5 mintues hes back up… I dont expect him to have much of a memory about all of this… Even if he doesnt remember ANY of it… Im just glad to have him with me still.

He took morphine lastnight around 1am… I think hes had 3 doses of it since then… So he does realize now that the Tylenol 3 is not to good when something like this is involved…

Jen Rigg said:

Glad he’s doing well… but tell him to TAKE THE DRUGS! You know, when I was out of surgery and in the High Dependency Unit I was chatting away like nothing had happened… My family totally thought I was lucid but if I was, I don’t remember any of it now lol. And I can’t remember much of that first week although I was awake and responding appropriately. It took my daughter saying this week that she hadn’t liked seeing me in so much pain and upset to remember VAGUELY that I was indeed in pain and trying to sleep but it was too noisy on the ward.

Thinking of you!

I’m glad he’s realising that. In itself, that shows that he’s still thinking and coming to right conclusions, so it’s all good. Hang in there, Dedra.
(hug)
Laurie

Dedra Short said:

Yeah its very noise here to… he will fall asleep then in 5 mintues hes back up… I dont expect him to have much of a memory about all of this… Even if he doesnt remember ANY of it… Im just glad to have him with me still.

He took morphine lastnight around 1am… I think hes had 3 doses of it since then… So he does realize now that the Tylenol 3 is not to good when something like this is involved…

Jen Rigg said:

Thinking of you!

Dedra- my husband had a suffered a ruptured anuerysm on November 15, 2009. No warning at all. His was clipped. He was in the Neuro Intensive Care Unit for three weeks. Then inpatient therapy for three more. It has been a little over 5 months. He is doing well, but he does not remember anything for about 5 weeks. I do believe that the brain is protecting itself during that time - and I certainly remember every minute! Hang in there - the next few months will be stressful for you as the caregiver - I still have my moments - but Jack is still here with me and I thank God every day!! Anytime you would like to talk please email or call me - 217-■■■■■■■■ - it is hard to find other caregivers who have experienced what you are going through. This site is a Godsend!! I will be praying that your husband has a good recovery and I will also be praying for you to hahve strength during this time. God Bless your family! Barb

keeping your husband and your family in my prayers…know that God is great and he will take care of yall…much love and many blessings…take care

Hey Everyone! James is doing good…The physical and occupational therapist where in here yesterday. He got up and walked around with no problems so both therapist said they were going to clear him because he doesnt need anything. He is doing everything fine. Hes staying in alot of pain though so morphine is being given every 4 hours and if he needs something before his next dose is due then they give him tyenol 3… A doctor came in today and said that everything is good. THANK GOD he does have some swelling on the left side though… They took his bandage off lastnight but it started swelling today… the doctor said thats normal and tomorrow his eye will probably swell shut. They have a transfer in his chart and its been there since yesterday they want to move him out on the regular floor but they have no beds open out there. His surgeon will be back in on Monday so im thinking James will get to go home Tuesday or Wednesday. Im hoping there are no set backs and really do go home soon cause I am missing the baby like crazy.

Let me share a laugh with you though.
My brother and his wife were here lastnight when the nurse came in, to remove the bandage from his head… He took everything off of James and James wanted to see his incision… so they gave him a mirror… My sister-in-law was looking at it saying “Oh wow… that looks great & its so clean. I thought it would be bloody but its not” Im sitting beside her and I hear her start breathing hard… I look over and shes passed out… LOL… her body was draped over the side of the chair… I jumped up and shouted for my brother… then I ran out and got the nurse…she can handle blood but she cant handle the pain of things… and she got to thinking about how painful that must be for my husband… It was scary but funny to…

Hi Dedra,

I am so happy that things turned out the way they did. Don’t rush to get out of the hospital, I understand that you are missing the baby, maybe someone can bring her up and visit for a short time. James has a long road a head of him and you do too. Tale my word on this, for now you are at the right place.

Think of you guys
Ken

Dedra Short said:

Hey Everyone! James is doing good…The physical and occupational therapist where in here yesterday. He got up and walked around with no problems so both therapist said they were going to clear him because he doesnt need anything. He is doing everything fine. Hes staying in alot of pain though so morphine is being given every 4 hours and if he needs something before his next dose is due then they give him tyenol 3… A doctor came in today and said that everything is good. THANK GOD he does have some swelling on the left side though… They took his bandage off lastnight but it started swelling today… the doctor said thats normal and tomorrow his eye will probably swell shut. They have a transfer in his chart and its been there since yesterday they want to move him out on the regular floor but they have no beds open out there. His surgeon will be back in on Monday so im thinking James will get to go home Tuesday or Wednesday. Im hoping there are no set backs and really do go home soon cause I am missing the baby like crazy.

My brother and his wife were here lastnight when the nurse came in, to remove the bandage from his head… He took everything off of James and James wanted to see his incision… so they gave him a mirror… My sister-in-law was looking at it saying “Oh wow… that looks great & its so clean. I thought it would be bloody but its not” Im sitting beside her and I hear her start breathing hard… I look over and shes passed out… LOL… her body was draped over the side of the chair… I jumped up and shouted for my brother… then I ran out and got the nurse…she can handle blood but she cant handle the pain of things… and she got to thinking about how painful that must be for my husband… It was scary but funny to…

Oh yes, the swelling! I’d forgotten about that. My face was all puffy on that side and my eye swelled shut. I looked like I’d gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson! Anyway, that all went down fine, except I do have a collection of CSF under the skin by the wound, called a pseudomeningocele. I’m waiting for it to go down (it’s been 2 1/2 months) but if it doesn’t the surgeon will drain it somehow… Sounds like your husband is doing well, and the story about your SIL made me giggle. I think in a way it is easier for me than for the people around me, and my scar doesn’t bother me at all, but other people cringe and look away. Oh well. The fun part is feeling around the scar and feeling the screws that are holding my skull together!

Dedra Short said:

The doctor came in today and told us that they are going to break us out of here tomorrow. They have already started cutting out the morphine… Right now he is really only getting Tylenol 3 but hes doing wonderful. He also started laughing and smiling again… When I first heard him laugh out it made me smile… Hes doing fantastic. Of course hes tired but I understand that. They say his age and overall health is whats helping him recover so fast. I think he would actually kill for a cigarette. Im gonna try to get him to quit smoking cause I know he doesnt need that.

what great news…you sound very excited to get back on the road to some normalcy in yalls life…stay patient but diligent…just wanted to reply about the smoking, my surgeon came out and talked to my husband while i wa in recovery after the coiling and asked if i smoked, at that time i was , so the reply was yes and he emphasized how important it was to prolong my life to get me to quit…i haven’t smoked since november 09…i hope he is able to quit and soon…get on the road to a new start, new life …take care and congrats on the progress

Dedra Short said:

The doctor came in today and told us that they are going to break us out of here tomorrow. They have already started cutting out the morphine… Right now he is really only getting Tylenol 3 but hes doing wonderful. He also started laughing and smiling again… When I first heard him laugh out it made me smile… Hes doing fantastic. Of course hes tired but I understand that. They say his age and overall health is whats helping him recover so fast. I think he would actually kill for a cigarette. Im gonna try to get him to quit smoking cause I know he doesnt need that.

Great news Dedra, I am so happy for you two.

God Bless
Ken

michelle patterson said:

what great news…you sound very excited to get back on the road to some normalcy in yalls life…stay patient but diligent…just wanted to reply about the smoking, my surgeon came out and talked to my husband while i wa in recovery after the coiling and asked if i smoked, at that time i was , so the reply was yes and he emphasized how important it was to prolong my life to get me to quit…i haven’t smoked since november 09…i hope he is able to quit and soon…get on the road to a new start, new life …take care and congrats on the progress

Dedra Short said: