Is it just me

Hello,

I went back to work a few weeks ago. It was one year after the aneurysm rupture and brain surgery. It is going better than I thought it would. There are things I just can’t remember how to do and have to call someone for help once in a while. I’m slower than I was before and still get tired very easily. I need to lay down when I get home. The fear of returning to work and failing was bad. But thank God I’m making it okay so far. No matter how hard or exhausting a day may be, I tell myself it’s not brain surgery. I made it through that and I’ll make it through this. So for anyone struggling and fearful and exhausted, it will get better. Slowly. But if you pray and have faith it will happen. I’ll likely never be the same as I was before. But that’s okay. I’m okay.

Kim

Hi Kim,

It’s great that you’re trying to work again. I found that working was helpful emotionally in some ways and very draining physically (I also went back far too soon, and only did so because I had given my notice a week before the aneurysm and was trying to keep my job - I knew I couldn’t have learned a new job at that point.) I found it very hard to see what i was doing and very hard to sit upright in my chair after the stroke. I also had to lie down and sleep when I got home every day. Some people treated me very differently, co-workers I’d known for like 5 years said “Hello, do you know who I am?” and I always started to cry when people asked me how I was. I certainly am not he same as I was before, but I agree with you - that’s okay, and you are okay. It’s alright to grieve for the loss of your former self, but remember you are great the way you are now and always.

Hey, Dave. No, it’s not just you. I was a 46 yr old, very healthy and active woman when I had mine, after the first surgery, I was feeling like you, 2 more surgery’s, 17 coils and one stent later, I still felt the same way. I had no choice but to go back to work as soon as possible. I hardly took time off. I was a mess. My job is extremely stressful, I am in the safety field of all things. It’s my job to make sure others are safe. I was always so independent and never relied on anyone except God. Suddenly I found myself feeling vulnerable. That was the hardest part. Knowing I was vulnerable. I was more aware of every feeling, emotion, pain. I had fears I never had before. I started doing little things to make myself get over these feelings. I thought I could “force” them to go away. I went to a local mall and walked around, (I’m not really good in crowds), suddenly I couldn’t find my way to the entrance I came in. I thought I was going to have a break down. I was able to tell my self that I had been here many times, it was no big deal, just walk until you remember.
That was my first small panic attack, I had some major ones, thank goodness none were at work. I got out of the shower one day, the bathroom was steamy, I couldn’t open the door and felt like I couldn’t breathe. I had a really bad attack that time. I leaned on the wall and just started hyperventilating. I thought my aneurysm was bursting all over again was going to die naked by the crapper! lol! After what seemed like an eternity, my husband opened the door and simply said “what are you doing?” I realized I was over reacting and spoke to my DR. She told me this was normal. She said that after someone has a stroke, Dr’s and insurance company’s allow for PT to help them get through those feelings of anxiety and dread. After an aneurysm, there is no help, no PT, insurance company’s do not recognize them in the same category, but they are. After a near death experience, you will have those feelings. They are normal and valid. Don’t allow anyone to tell you they are not.
My annie was in Jan of 2011, as time has passed, the anxiety has really improved. It took about a year to get a good handle on it. I still, however, have anxiety about this time of the year, wondering if I will make it until January… I’ve put it in Gods hands, truly now. I could be hit by a car on my way home, get in a horrible accident, or my annie could burst. Life is short, we can’t spend it worrying if we will be here tomorrow.
It’s easy for me to say these things now, it’s been several years. I had to figure out what my new “normal” was going to be. What I mean by that is, I use to love anything that went from 0 - 100 in 20 seconds! :slight_smile: Speed, roller-coasters , water-skiing, anything that went fast quick. The one thing I can’t do now is anything that goes fast quick. No centrifugal force. So there went my happy places! I made a list of all the things that make me happy and all the things that cause me anxiety. I found all the things that made me happy were outdoors, like the trees, moon, sun and listening to the sounds of nature, so I bought a camper, we go regularly now. I love it. The things that cause me anxiety, I have slowly weeded some out, as best I can. I keep that list close and add as my new life evolves. I feel like I’m discovering life all over again.
You will get there also.
I apologize for the rant, I haven’t been on here for a long time and something made me come on, the first thing I saw was your post and felt the need to talk.

3 Likes

First of all…loved your rant!! We have a lot in common. Anxiety attacks are HORRIBLE…im working on that. My wife and I went to Busch Gardens recently…I love rollercoasters…I started on a smaller one, then paid for it for days with headaches. Still riding my bike, still doing wheelies…a 52 year old kid😂 but the bike is the tool God gave me to minister to others!! I have been asked to officiate a funeral Sunday for a biker friend of mine that was killed this week.1000 plus people will attend. I havent spoken in public since the Annie. I seem to trip up sometimes since the annie when I read out loud…never an issue before. Im sure it will go fine…God will hold me up. I really appreciate your response and sending prayers for your family and you

1 Like

It’s PTSD and common after rupture/brain surgery. Can you find a trauma therapist that does EMDR technique. It’s supposed to be a big help.

1 Like

Hi Chelan 4 here. I have not been to this sight before. Actually this is my first experience with any type of social media. So bare with me. Haha. I am about 2 months post pipeline for 2 aneurysms. Also have another aneurysm that was pipelined in 2011. Still have one left to deal with. :cry:This site has been awesome!! Thanks so much for your stories, successes, and for just being so totally real.

Hello bishop247,
I’m Maes an Annie survivor 13 yrs now, At some point in "recovery I had the same delamma.“I’ve over come this by keeping my self busy”.I know, been there! we can`t really please anyone to just listen and talk to us’when we only need some time. just by asking us “what we feel”. EveryONE is pre-occupied work wise they have to earn money to sustain their needs of course we knew that. I even experience being ignored at time by someone who we thought can help and understand us but then again were wrong. But we are here to help you. Any one can cry even my husband Cry at time whenever I feel sick.
Hope This Makes you feel better.

Sincerely,
Maes

1 Like

I am new to the community. I am a 49 yo who had coiling/stent surgery three weeks ago for a 6x7mm basilar artery aneurysm. Completely caught me off guard. Thank you, all, so much for sharing your experiences. I have always been a person in control, and for the first time, I’ve had to completely rely on God. I have headaches daily. My emotions are a roller-coaster. I haven’t really talked to anyone about it, because I feel like I’ve been such a burden already. I am so thankful to you bishop247 for posting on here. I haven’t had a follow-up with my neuro doc yet, though I have tried repeatedly to get in touch with someone. I thought I was losing my mind. It’s nice to know that others are going through, or have gone through, this same thing. If nothing else, you feel validated. Don’t give up bishop247. I am praying for you…all of you! I am so blessed to have found this site! Keep talking. Together we are stronger. :heart: