In my Brain or IN my Brain

I cut the grass - side yard only but it an old non-motorized mower so power was all mine - in more ways then one! Thanks again!

Harly...you do write beautifully...thanks for all your sharing...

For Any and All...

We do all have our own decisions to make on each of our new steps...

I am a big promoter of the neuropsych testing... sometime post-procedure(s)...because of the research I have been doing.

I have imagined best results for any in the "waiting/monitoring time" to secure that neuropsych testing well before a procedure(s) to reasonably set standards for f/u testing ...in case SS Disability /other disability is needed post-procedure... for excellent comparisons...

My initial neuropsych testing was 90 days post-procedure...my reading level ranged from 2 years to 13..8 years...and, we can omit the rest that were done...1 1/2 years later I was in SS Disability testing....and began my visual therapy ..and, did regain my reading/comprehension...but yet so slow... I continue in my research ...

I so promote neuropsych testing to aid in qualifying disability and to select appropriate therapies...it would be grand, if those in any wait time to set their initial standards pre-procedure by that testing...

As for socializing, when I was discharged...family/friends were told to keep me socially active.....it was exhausting...and, I backed out as many as they did...i wanted therapies.and learning to comprehend...to read...to hear...

Harly is always delightful and encouraging to read...

I'm curious about your taste distortion: could you explain it more please? I had a taste distortion about two months before being diagnosed with my annie and I've never seen anyone else have one. Was yours due to your annie then? Mine spontaneously resolved about two weeks later. No doctor ever made the connection with my annie either. Everything I ate or drank tasted milky, creamy. Good for dairy products, gross for meats lol. I saw an ENT who proclaimed there wasn't a thing wrong and I dropped the ball after that. But I picked it up and threw it around when the GP told me two months later my strange headaches were migraines. Nope, try again sonny! Finally got an MRI out of him, and well, the rest is history.

Holly Springer said:

What you have expressed is identical to how things are for me as well. When one Neurosurgeon had suggested I see a Psychologist for my taste distortion, I was ready to slug him! He also recommended an ENT, bless his heart, as I am sure my expression caused him some alarm! The tongue is fine. I had seen a Psychologist for years after this occurred; however, that was not directly related to this event. However, she kept telling me that I really look so normal, as well as others said the same. So, there is indeed a psychological connection to healing, and when the brain is involved, I expect even a bigger relationship. Like you, I try new things to see what can be done, despite thinking there is no way I can accomplish that! I often say-"Well let's take this old girl out for a spin ans see what she does"-almost like a new car! Remarkably, I accomplish the supposedly impossible task. I am not saying it is always easy to do so; however, I have found that it is me who has put the thought of failure in my head, not the fact the aneurysm has done something to change me! It actually gets down to the fact of how badly do I want to succeed, or do I just want to sit in the chair today, feeling sorry for myself-again! Frankly, I, and my family are tired of that routine and there is much of life to be lived. No one knows their timeline and to waste an inch of mine seems a slap in the face to the person responsible for me still being here. Have a glorious day trying new things and giving your new self another twirl on the merry-go-round of life!

My taste distortion became noticeable after I came home from the rehab, which was about 4 months following the ruptured aneurysm. I have had the taste distortion confirmed and several doctors have tried to assist in alleviating it, but no medicine helps. One Neurologist indicated that in his opinion it was now more noticeable as since I was doing more and more, the brain cells were adjusting to new things to compensate for the damaged ones, which were associated with the taste center, which is directly in the path of the rupture.
An ENT indicated that the rupture damaged the nerve impulses from the tongue to the brain and that may or may not improve.

I remember having such a stiff neck for weeks preceding my aneurysm. I thought perhaps it was a disc in the neck and needed to have it adjusted. Never have had headaches to contend with. Odd that your body gives you signs, but it is not until later you recognize that it did. My doctors claim they never would have expected the aneurysm as nothing was there to have them check.

I hope you are doing well.

I love to cook, so I ignore it as I refuse to be a victim by it limiting me from doing what I love. However, it is a trial to cook, hoping what you are making is turning out edible. However, my sister claims my cooking has never been better! Go figure!
Sarah D said:

I'm curious about your taste distortion: could you explain it more please? I had a taste distortion about two months before being diagnosed with my annie and I've never seen anyone else have one. Was yours due to your annie then? Mine spontaneously resolved about two weeks later. No doctor ever made the connection with my annie either. Everything I ate or drank tasted milky, creamy. Good for dairy products, gross for meats lol. I saw an ENT who proclaimed there wasn't a thing wrong and I dropped the ball after that. But I picked it up and threw it around when the GP told me two months later my strange headaches were migraines. Nope, try again sonny! Finally got an MRI out of him, and well, the rest is history.

Holly Springer said:

What you have expressed is identical to how things are for me as well. When one Neurosurgeon had suggested I see a Psychologist for my taste distortion, I was ready to slug him! He also recommended an ENT, bless his heart, as I am sure my expression caused him some alarm! The tongue is fine. I had seen a Psychologist for years after this occurred; however, that was not directly related to this event. However, she kept telling me that I really look so normal, as well as others said the same. So, there is indeed a psychological connection to healing, and when the brain is involved, I expect even a bigger relationship. Like you, I try new things to see what can be done, despite thinking there is no way I can accomplish that! I often say-"Well let's take this old girl out for a spin ans see what she does"-almost like a new car! Remarkably, I accomplish the supposedly impossible task. I am not saying it is always easy to do so; however, I have found that it is me who has put the thought of failure in my head, not the fact the aneurysm has done something to change me! It actually gets down to the fact of how badly do I want to succeed, or do I just want to sit in the chair today, feeling sorry for myself-again! Frankly, I, and my family are tired of that routine and there is much of life to be lived. No one knows their timeline and to waste an inch of mine seems a slap in the face to the person responsible for me still being here. Have a glorious day trying new things and giving your new self another twirl on the merry-go-round of life!

Hi to All..re: taste... smell and more...

In my research, I have come across a magnificent site...

http://teachmeanatomy/info/?s=taste+nerve+

and, in each specific issue...I had already been searching for info. when I received online, this site.... my memory is such that I cannot tell you what initiated this...

http://teachmeanatomy.info/?s=olfactory+nerve+... another...because a woman survivor I met years back had readily talked about smell/taste...so related...ye, she did not know of the olfactory connection on smell...

Thank you, I will check out the one regarding taste and nerve. So many doctors asked regarding smell as there indeed seems to be some correlation between that and the brain aneurysm. However, I do not seem to notice an issue with that, or let's say it is not one that bothers me. I think each person is different as their circumstances are unique to them.

I think one of the most challenging issues is the psychological one it poses as we learn how to navigate life with this new person we have become!

Have a great day and thanks for the information!

patioplans said:

Hi to All..re: taste... smell and more...

In my research, I have come across a magnificent site...

http://teachmeanatomy/info/?s=taste+nerve+

and, in each specific issue...I had already been searching for info. when I received online, this site.... my memory is such that I cannot tell you what initiated this...

http://teachmeanatomy.info/?s=olfactory+nerve+... another...because a woman survivor I met years back had readily talked about smell/taste...so related...ye, she did not know of the olfactory connection on smell...