I have unruptured aneurysm

It was recommended I repair due to higher risk due to location and type of aneurysm. I have issue that prevents femoral access for a pipeline flow device and neurosurgeon backed off and felt we needed to observe aneurysm instead. My regular MD is sending me to San Francisco for a second opinion. Has anyone gone through this process?

I will keep you in my pray

Second opinions from a good neurosurgeon is the way to go. Many of us here are in the same boat you are in. Wait and watch. Let us know how it goes

A similar situation because my first aneurysiun was 23 years ago and they didnt know much in the way of surgery and the area it was in very difficult but one surgeon said he would give it a go and it went well I was also 5 mths pregnant this one leaked too.
I pray everything works out for u have faith and it will.

Shelley said:

A similar situation because my first aneurysiun was 23 years ago and they didnt know much in the way of surgery and the area it was in very difficult but one surgeon said he would give it a go and it went well I was also 5 mths pregnant this one leaked too.

lorac said: Thank you for your support

Shelley said:

This is to the person who sent question on "Trouble with femoral access?" and anyone else who is interested. I can't find your question, so I will do my best to answer. I was found to have a coginital compression of celiac artery from a ligament. (Median acurate ligament syndrome). My celiac artery is no longer patent, but I have developed extensive collateral over my 54 years and have good blood flow. Basically my body made its own bypass (Very lucky). Because of the collateral pathways are too small to pass a catheter to place the pipeline flow device, MDs are unable to use femoral artery for this purpose. They tried the brachial (arm) artery and it went into spasms. The MD will do studies and chart a pathway if I want to try. Neurosurgeon feels with this development, the risk of the procedure now outweighs the benefits. That is why I am waiting and seeing. Hope this answers your question

I think second opinion is best. I was fortunate to have Dr. Ogilvy at mass General perform my surgery successfully through my femoral artery. I imagine you live on a west coast so may not be an option to see him. I know he learned from the surgeon who invented this procedure. I am hoping you may find someone more skilled. Best of luck.

Lorac, I think UCSF ranks in the top ten in the nation. And if I recall correctly they are either ranked 1 or 2 for vascular medicine. I don’t think you can get much better than that ( except of course by having my doc lol). Good luck!

Go for the second opinion, then decide, waiting and watching may be an option, till then chill.

Keep us all informed.

Regards

Martin

I was fortunate I saw 3 different surgeons during my treatment process and all 3 agreed with the clipping procedure. Good luck and stay positive it really helps!

Lorac,
The good thing you have options and opportunities to decide what to do, that it is a BIG PLUS!
Usually the neurosurgeons can either go to the right or left of the femoral, your doctor can’t use either side?

Left femoral artery wasn't tried. Possibly due to the narrowing was around the celiac artery? It is a possibility. Thank you for suggestion. First NS plans to map arteries if we decide to try for pipeline flow device.

Thanks for all the comments. I will see second opinion, but for now I prefer the watch and wait.

I, too had an unruptured aneurysm and was told that a coil was recommended. However, after a review by "the Neuro team", a craniotomony to clip the aneurysm, due to the location, was the amended protocol. My recovery was fairly normal and inspired me to seek the establishment of a Support Group for patients and families. That was in October 2008 and is now in the rear view mirror of the experience - just where your's will be. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery! Bonny, in Seattle

Lorac, my Doc goes in the right for coiling but in the left to check to see if I still have a heart and brain lol. My left femoral artery has a 90 degree turn so she can’t get the coiling material that way. Maybe SF can find a different route for you