How Lucky we Are!

Hi All, First let me tell you that you are ALL Special!! I am new to this group as I was referred by my Neurosurgeon who is The BEST person in my life right now AFTER my Beautiful and Amazing Wife!! A lot of things happened leading up to needing Dr. Oselkin. Short version: cataract surgery, Yag surgery, detached retina mis-diagnosed by Opthomologist and neuro opthomologist at Wills Hospital in Philadelphia to having emergency detached retina surgery. I was having double vision and neck pain issues. Was told by Retina surgeon that if vision ever changed that I should contact them immediately. I did. Was told that eyes were OK and that I should contact my primary care physician and probably a Neurologist or neuro opthomologist. I decided to go with a neurologist that was refereed by my primary care physician She sent me for blood work and a CT scan. I decided to go to St. Lukes Hospital in Bethlehem, PA. for the blood work and scan as it was in network with my insurance. During the CT scan they pulled me out before finishing and said that they were contacting my neurologist and that she would explain what was going to happen. My neurologist called me AT the hospital to tell me that they were not going to let me go home that I was going to be admitted to the ER neurology ward, they found a 3.6cm aneurysm, This hospital is a teaching hospital and I was contacted by a neurosurgeon who gave me choices But that he would like to try a new mesh pipeline that was developed. It allows the blood to flow into and out of the aneurysm and to clot off slowly to eventually start to shrink. I did not want my skull opened for a clip as that was the worse case scenario. I decided to let the decision be that of the person doing the surgery. After talking about the odds and the knowledge of his research of the pipeline. This was May 29th of 2018. It took until June 6th to get my blood levels at the correct level for the surgery. They went in thru the groin to get to the brain… After a day in ICU, another CT scan and a couple more days in the ER neuro ward, I was released to go home as they were thrilled that there was already a reduction in the size. Here it is July 2019 and my one year angiogram shows Minimal flow and am told that there is a zero chance of rupture! Today after reading Many, Many posts on Facebook Aneurism Survivors page and those on this site about size, rupture, without rupture etc. I am seeing sizes in MM. I decided to check the conversion from cm and started to cry to the point that my wife had to hold me as I NOW realize how Lucky I rally am to be here to share my story! Prayer and concentrating on the positives NOT the what ifs are the best way of coping! (Also May 29, 2018 was the last time I had a cigarette after 40+ years of smoking!)

4 Likes

Longboard, so right you are young man! You’ve had an amazing trip. Hope you’re enjoying every minute of life now!

1 Like

You are so blessed my friend! It’s so refreshing to see a story that the medical community stepped up and treated you like all people deserve - swiftly and seriously. I’m so happy you had a good outcome for a giant annie-that was truly a big one! I thought mine was bad at 2.3cm! What a miracle that your pipeline was doing it’s job so quickly too. I have six pipelines telescoped together as well as coils, done in 2012 over two separate surgeries, and last they checked there wasn’t much change but at least it’s stable (I still have headaches and brain fog and memory issues though). Take your blessings and your new chance at life to heart and soul!

2 Likes

Reading your story makes me so grateful.So many Doctors and Surgeons.They work so hard to make sure we get the best care.Sounds like you have gone through alot. But your wife and family has been great support.My husband has never complained one time. Always trying to help taking care of me and my two horses and 30 chickens.Thank you! for sharing your story.It helps me to have faith that everything ends up working out.I have some delay with getting words out and with my speech.But my horses don’t seem to care.Ha!

2 Likes

Hi All! Sorry that I don’t post or answer many posts on here, I do try to read what others are going through.
Three years ago today I had surgery to implant a new type of coil/stent in a 3.6cm aneurysm,(36mm). I am Happy to say that it is doing it’s job and my neurosurgeon couldn’t be happier. The aneurysm is still there but I am told that there is a 100% chance of NO rupture. Yes, I have some problems like not being able to find words that are There, they just won’t come out of my mouth. Yes people look at me and if it takes longer than I think, I just blame it on brain surgery and they are very patient with me too get my words out.
I am employed full time at the ripe young age of 65 and continue to do what I can. I may be a little slower than usual but the alternative is Not what I want to think about. I am Enjoying life as I can.

Forget About the What If’s and Focus On the Positives is the Motto that I have been following since surgery and has kept me going.
A positive attitude and doing what your Doctors tell you, asking questions about what you don’t understand, will make post aneurysm surgery much easier. Don’t be Afraid to question your doctors!
I now only see my neurosurgeon once a year instead of every three months.
I hope this helps for those wondering what a major life changing episode is going to be like.

1 Like

Wise advice @Longbeard, thanks so much for sharing!

All the best,
Moltroub