Hello I’m new, I’m scared and I’m grateful

Hi Captain I know that this surgery is scary. I have been dealing with this since my early 20’s and I and still here 4 surgeries later I am still going to concerts at least I was before COVID-19 life is what you make it. We are given a gift so please enjoy life to the absolute fullest.

2 Likes

And it’s people like you, RichardB, that make this community such a special place to be. Nice to see you back again!

Seenie from ModSupport

1 Like

this was so inspiring! I had an aneurysm repair in March followed by an SAH. I am recovering and grateful to be alive. I, like you, was a 62 healthy woman who ate well and walked regularly. I have no paralysis and all my faculties. So we have much to be thankful for! My six month checkup is in september. I am wishing you all the best!

2 Likes

Thank you! We are very lucky. Are you very tired? I seem to want to sleep more than normal. 4 weeks post surgery.

2 Likes

YES I AM TIRED! I sleep like a rock for and 10-11 hours per night…I don’t know if it’s the melatonin the doctors suggested or the stroke recovery. Nonetheless I am very tired and sleep a lot…I hear this is normal…I am not very patient!

1 Like

Ok, that helps a lot. I’m not very patient either so this is all new for me too.
So happy you’re recovering well though. Makes me happy and let’s me know some of this stuff is pretty normal.
Thanks!
We need to keep in touch :sunglasses:

2 Likes

YEs we do need to stay in touch. I need to read the journeys of others which gives me hope. I slept like a log last night…which is totally normal for me since my annie repair. I have another angiogram in september which I am nervous about because I DO NOT Want to go back to any hospital right now! You take care and let me hear how you are doing. I live in NC…how about you?

1 Like

Best wishes and fingers crossed for a good report in September :blush:
I live on Orcas Island in the San Juan islands in Washington state. My hospital is Harborview in Seattle. I also have no desire to be near a hospital again. Covid is crazy here and so are demonstrators! Ack!
Have a very lovely day!

3 Likes

I have watched the news showing the unrest in your city. It is truly sad to see so much destruction in our country right now. So far NC has been somewhat calm during a crazy time although we have our share of covid! Please let me know how you are doing. Fear is so powerful when it gets into our souls…I have a shirt on now that says Fear over Faith! I have lived through some terribly fearful times! May you find peace in your journey!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing all of that with me that’s a scary ride on a helicopter. I’ve put so many people on helicopters that I’ve been in similar shoes praying they be OK. Most of my sadness comes from my moms ruptured aneurysm she’s alive but it ruined her life hers was not very well understood as it happened in 1996 so the technology wasn’t there to help her like it is now. I was a brand new Fire fighter 20 years old taking care of my mom I would do it again because that’s what love is all about. I still can’t get the thoughts of what I saw and where she was that and we have an out of my head I think that’s what frightens me so much about my upcoming surgery to get the coil in the

1 Like

Thank you so very much for giving me hope your family says the same thing life is what we’re going to make of it and what I make of it. I just got my first prescription for blood thinners before my quarterly surgery and I don’t start them until I find out exactly when I’m getting my surgery which could be 7 August. I’m trying to do everything I can to have fun and take it vantage of all the things that I need to do around the house. Getting along with my family‘s been increasingly hard I think it’s because I’m scared and I don’t know how to translate scared to tears it’s mostly scared to anger and that sucks. I think I’ve done that my whole life whenever I’m afraid or sad I get upset instead of talking about it and this is pretty good that I can say this all of you. Thank you for talking about concerts because that something I love to do and I pray we get the chance to do that again I love Metallica and they’ll be here in Sacramento in the fall I hope that Covid is gone by then or we figured out someway to put it at bay, thank you again for everything

Rich

2 Likes

I have always wondered why some of our parents didn’t teach the importance of being allowed to cry when we are scared or hurt. I learned that anger was more acceptable then tears not only in my own family, but those that I served. It’s a very hard lesson to learn to communicate feelings. It has to start with owning them and then sharing. It is okay to cry. It is okay to be afraid. The biggest step we can take is telling our family our true feelings.

I learned decades ago that men talk better when their hands are busy on a project. Women seem to talk better around the kitchen table or cooking. These are generalizations and don’t hold for everyone.

Your family probably knows you well enough Captain Rich to understand the anger is fear. If you can just tell one person verbally that you’re scared, I promise it will be a new beginning and give not only yourself some relief but your family and loved ones as well. It will give them permission to tell you how scared they are as well.

3 Likes

Mo,

I really appreciate the way you explained anger/fear. I had a hard time yesterday when I found out they didn’t properly flush the Galolidium from my system on the 17th. If it weren’t for my nurse wife giving me NAC, I’d still feel like junk. NAC is an amazing over the counter supplement That purifies your liver and kidneys, mostly kidneys and is used in the emergency room for people that overdose on ibuprofen or Galolidoum poisonings. Believe it or not I just started taking it yesterday and I feel amazing this morning. I’m doing better with letting fear state fear and letting my emotions come out I appreciate what you said it made me really think so thank you.

Rich

1 Like

I’ve never heard of NAC, thanks for that as I’m allergic to the dye, allergic to the prednisone I have to take for the dye allergy as well. Usually it’s just a lot of benedryl and water to flush out things.

Here’s a link for others who didn’t know https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1018/n-acetyl-cysteine-nac

As with all OTC’s, I will ask my doctors if I can take it…

Hi, I don’t use this site as often as I should… but glad you had a good doctor.
All doctors are not the same. I have had Lion’s Mane mushroom powder. It has helped me w the stamina and memory. I used to sleep a lot but mostly have intermittent sleep now. (2017 coilin). I can only type w one finger on L hand and use a walker. Thank goodness for a patient husband. Best to you!
Glenda

Good thing there was a helicopter available. Wow. You are a really brave person to go through those surgeries. Good luck.

1 Like

I know, right?
Had a 6 week visit with my Dr. Yesterday, he said about 6 more weeks I should be back to full speed.
Then, we will discuss the aneurysm on the left side. Same place but on the left. CT shows it is kinda tangled up…so would entail another craniotomy on that side. We were hoping a cool would work.
So not certain if it should be watched or clipped. I don’t have any idea and will go be his recommendations. I had 4 Thunderclap headaches prior to the right side 7mm repair. But that wasn’t the one causing them so he is a bit concerned.
Any suggestions? :smirk:

1 Like

I recall my vasospasms hurt really bad after my rupture. I continued having them off an on after I was released from ICU, especially with any strong emotion. Like the neighbor teasing our new pup. She never barked much before that…

1 Like

How are things going?
Be sure to rest, use ice packs and drink tons of water. I hope your doing great!

1 Like