Headaches , new medication that worked for me

Hi everyone! I have finally found a medication that has helped my post surgical headaches !! And I want to share with you the info on the medication so you can check into seeing if its something that may help those of you who share the same pain, which is most likely all of you. My surgery was a year and 4mo ago on an unruptured aneurysm. I had a procedure called webbing. I hadn’t experienced headaches til after the surgery. I also was told they weren’t from the procedure. I went threw several different medications, massage therapy, Vitamins…ect. Nothing touched it. Well this medication is called Aimovig.{erenumab-aooe} autoinjection . Its a migrain medication. Also Ubrelvy {ubrogepant} tablets. This has been a life saver for me. I thought my pain was going to be my new normal until my neurologist tried this. I take the injection once a month and the tablets as needed if I do get a headache. Now I’ve never had migrains or headaches but this really worked for me. The tablets are wonderful if I get a break threw headache between injections. The aimovig is suppose to block certain nero signals that cause headaches. Thats the simplest way I can explain how it works. Also the good news is that I may not have to take it forever because the number amount of headaches are lessoning. I guess it’s like retraining your nero signals. I hope this can help everyone as did for me. By the way , this is a new medication.

Boots62, Thanks for sharing what has worked for you! Perhaps it will help some others as well. For those who don’t know about it, here’s a link to their site https://www.aimovig.com/

Seems like it was approved in 2018 by the FDA Aimovig (Erenumab-aooe) First CGRP Receptor Antagonist Approved for the Prevention of Migraine in Adults

Seems like England’s NICE rejected it but Scotland approved it. Erenumab - Wikipedia

Hope everyone is enjoying a beautiful Spring day
Moltroub

Thank you Moltroub for getting the link for the Aimovig. I Think that because my symptoms were that of migrain symptoms is why we tried this path. I’ve read other members post about their headaches and they were the same as mine. My headaches were non stop, continuous day in day out. They had me try Topiramate which they also use to treat migrains but it only made me sick. In a nut shell, I’m just saying that I’m glad they treated me as if it were migrains that I was experiencing and it can’t hurt to ask your doctor about it.

You’re absolutely correct @Boots62! I can remember all the medications my neurologist tried me on when I had migraines that never stopped and often woke me up. Most were for epilepsy. One was magnesium oxide which he felt Americans don’t get enough magnesium in their diet. I didn’t tolerate any of them. The headaches were so bad I did take his advice and got the SPG block which stopped them for a year or so and then went and got another that hurt like the dickens and I wouldn’t recommend it again.

A few of our members have mentioned Aimovig and like you, they found relief. I’m glad you reminded us. And since it is still relatively new, it may be that doctors aren’t aware of it as yet.

Thanks again and all the best!
Moltroub

That’s fabulous that you’ve gotten such a good result from Aimovig. There are a few new injectable medications in this class, and they’re a real game changer. I was put on Ajovy a year ago for chronic migraines unrelated to surgery or anything else. It’s not perfect, but it’s a world of difference.

Sharon from ModSupport

1 Like