Having surgery in 2 weeks, any tips?

It’s been less than a week, hasn’t it? We’re all rooting for you Keith! (KMG will be getting copies of these messages.)

We’re looking forward to hearing from you when you are feeling up to logging on and saying “hi”.

Seenie from ModSupport

3 Likes

Stay positive :heartpulse: know you have support. Sending you good vibes and :hugs:

Hello,

Keith here…I apologize for the delay in response. It has been 5 weeks since my clipping and craniotomy. My surgery went very well and I’ve been recovering at home since I was discharged from the hospital. I was in ICU for a couple of days and then released a few days later. After 5 weeks, my surgical scar is actually healing very well. The staples ( 40 I believe), were pretty painless when removed. I’m still on several meds, some that have side effects that are not fun. Particularly, the anti-seizure med called Kepra has made me depressed and agitated. I’ve been weaning off of that as a result These are the only “personality changes” that I have experienced. I’m hoping that what I am experiencing are in fact side-effects and not a longer lasting “side effect” of the clipping and overall surgery. I’m trying to remember everyone’s advice about not rushing things. I am due back to work in 3 weeks and that is starting to cause a bit of anxiety. Other than headaches and pain in the surgical site, I have some memory issues that are a little scary. For example, I walked outside to thank my wife for something. I then walked back inside, turned around, walked back outside and said “I almost forgot to thank you for…”. I was then reminded that I had already thanked her before walking back inside. Hope that gets better. I guess that’s why it’s important not to rush. We may not even realize the things we do or say and that can have serious implications during “normal life”.

I want to sincerely thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers through this ongoing journey. It is the reason I am doing well and I could not be more thankful to all of you. For anyone getting ready for surgery, please reach out with questions. Happy to help.

Cheers,
Keith

4 Likes

What a wonderful message! You sound like you are doing very well indeed, Keith!

I’m sure you’ve put a smile onto many peoples’ faces today – I’m grinning for sure. Do keep coming back, and responding to other members’ messages: you know first hand how important it is to have empathetic and understanding contact with people.

It’s people like you and your fellow members who make BAFSupport such a special place. We’re so glad that you found us, and relieved and happy to hear from you again.

Hang in there, Keith, and hang out here!

Seenie from Admin

@KMG I am so happy to hear from you Keith! Your entry it the first I read this morning and I am doing a happy dance for sure! Memory issues will subside with time. Perhaps a few of the memory games can be fun and will help. Also, you might check the side effects of the meds you’re taking, some can cause us unusual side effects. I bet your work “family” will be glad to see you as well. Some of the folks here who are able to return to work have been able to ease back into it, others are able to take off running and do their full week. Just let your doctor know if you become too tired.

Big hugs for the successful procedure and your recovery!
Moltroub

@KMG how are you doing now, Keith? I’m sure there are people (besides me) who would love to know!

All the best, and hope to hear from you soon

Seenie

1 Like

Stay positive, stay encouraged, and don’t stress. Be patient and give your body what it needs. Praying for a speedy recovery.:pray:t4::heart: