Hardware complication after aneurysm Surgery

Im very nervous and wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I had a car accident in April 2018. Was taken to the hospital and told a screw from my previous spinal fusion had broke, whiplash, extreme headache. I have always suffered from migraines. After 5 days with no relief and went to my primary. He sent my to the hospital for CT Scan. ER Dr said small aneurysm nothing to worry about. Was sent to neurologist had 3 aneurysms, none small. So in October had them clipped. Fast forward Sept 2019 woke up with busted blood vessels and a large bulge in my right eye. After seeing over 7 different doctors and months of pain and loss of vision. I have been told that a screw from aneurysm surgery has become lodged in the backside of my eye. Surgey has been scheduled for Monday to remove it. I still deal with migraines on a regular basis and I can’t lie. I’m scared of this surgery. Surely don’t want to lose my sight. I have searched online any can’t find anything about this type of complication. Has anyone heard of or experienced this?
Mescha

1 Like

Oh Mescha , sorry to hear about these complications . I hope you find some answers here , but wish the surgery to go well on Monday !

Mescha, Sounds like you have been through it, what an incredibly strong person you are! I’ve done a little checking on line and it seems that maybe one of the screws was not placed properly. I am not a medical expert by any means, it’s just a deduction…What has your surgeon said?

We all realize the complications of any of the procedures to fix a brain aneurysm. If we are honest with ourselves and the doctors are honest with us, it is an angst feeling moment. So many what if’s. In my life, I have come to the opinion that not knowing is far worse than knowing. You know what is wrong now. You have endlessly tried to find out. I hope you realize just how strong of a person you are! That tells me that no matter what happens, you will come out ok.

My better half comes from Siluria AL. I think it’s Alabaster now. Do you Roll Tide or War Eagle? Where are you having your surgery done? I know there are some impressive hospitals and surgeons in AL. Please keep in touch, we are here for you!

1 Like

Thank you. I appreciate it.

I war eagle…just to be different and talk junk. Since everyone in my house is roll tide. My better half is from Dothan AL. Im from Washington DC. All my in-laws are roll tide fans too. Im having surgery at UAB. Dr. Long is doing my surgery. I have read some of his reviews which are good. I keep telling myself everything is going to be fine and trying to keep my aniexty under control. Thank you for kind words. They are appreciated

UAB is an extremely great place! You might recover and say Roll Tide. That will get the family going. roflol. I can see a lot of fun with it.

Remember to breathe. Be very hydrated going in on Monday. Drink water and not sweet tea or sodas. I’ve been in the South since the late ‘80’s and still can’t handle sweet tea.

When y’all are able go get some ‘que from Buddy’s. I like the outside, better half the inside. Eat lots of protein every day. When I was released from ICU it was 90 grams a day minimum. Each time I get angiogram or recoiled I have to go back on the hydration and protein. I have to drink Gatorade plus lots of water. There’s a drink recipe that has water, vinegar, honey or molasses, it’s being touted as the original sports drink. I think it comes from the 1700’s. If you want, I can look it up.

Wow…just wow. I hope everything works out for you. Let us know how it goes when you can. We are all here for you.

1 Like

You have surely had a rough road. I am so sorry! Don’t lose faith, you can get through this. Sending positive thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery :pray::purple_heart:

1 Like

Sending healing vibes your way.

1 Like

Do you know where your screws were? Have you looked at your MRS since aneurysm surgery? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5773937/

1 Like

I was not aware of aneurysm treatments that include screws. I only know of metal coils, metal mesh blood diverters, and what they call “clips”.

Mary, When you have clips, you have a craniotomy (the surgeon removes a piece of skull temporarily to access the aneurysm). The screws are used to fasten the skull back while the bone heals.

2 Likes

Mescha,
Good for you for persevering and finding the cause of the problems! I hope all is going well and healing will be easy and speedy. Sending you healing thoughts❤️

2 Likes

Thank you - that was not obvious to me.

Holding good thoughts for you, Mescha.

1 Like

Oops didn’t mean to flag that…lol meant to respond…lol

I have heard of this happening! I’ve had a craniotomy on the right side with several plates and screws, coiling which failed, the anyuresm came through the coils and pipeline on the left side and pipeline on the right side. But I have discussed with a Dr exactly what you are talking about. He says it happens. Don’t be scared, you will be fine, you’ve come along way…ive had vision trouble ever since my pipelines. Its very important to be checked yearly…!!! Im praying for you, you’ve got this!!!

2 Likes

Thank you all for the prayers and positive energy, sent my way. I’m back at home recovering. Apparently it was a screw and part of the plate that had moved. I have had an observation since Monday’s surgery. After aneurysm surgery I had some severe problem with TMJ. After the plate and screw was removed I’m able to open my jaw without as much pain and chewing doesn’t cause headaches. It’s not pain free but I can tell a difference.

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly by memory. I have the records. I keep a copy of everything; tests, reports, and discs. I could compare them to the CT from last month.

Sounds like a very good road to recovery! Thanks for getting back to us.