FMD and Pulsating Tinnitus

Hi,
I was diagnosed and had a pipeline stent put in for a small aneurysm in 2017 and at that time was diagnosed with FMD. I didn’t do anything concerning the FMD.
Within the last year, I’ve developed a pulsating tinnitus, which I’m told is a symptom of FMD.
I’m scheduled to go to Cleveland Clinic’s FMD Clinic in January but am wondering whether anyone has experienced pulsating tinnitus and what was done to deal with it and the resulting anxiety from hearing your pulse while trying to sleep or being awakened by it nearly every night. Oh, and I also have constant ringing in both ears at different pitches, which doesn’t help.
Thanks in advance,
Helen

Good Morning HelenL!

I always heard my pulse until my cardiologist put me on a beta blocker. I have SVT. Anyhow it used to be how I would go to sleep, just the fast rhythm of it I guess, especially if I laid my head on my arm. With the medication, it was hard for me to get to sleep. Once I stopped the metoprolol due to rupture, it started back up about 2-3 weeks later, but not every night. For me it was like a visit from an old friend as I had it all my life and haven’t been diagnosed with FMD, just squiggly arteries. So I wonder if it’s something that one gets used to.

For the high pitched tinnitus, my PCP and ENT both suggested using a table top fan for the noise, which helps tremendously for me when I go to sleep. It was also suggested to me to use melatonin to help get to sleep by my neurologist.

I hope other members will chime in.

Best of luck!
Moltroub

1 Like

I have had tinnitus for years - it began before I even know I had an aneurysm and I can’t get any doctors to provide any improvement. I have to stream something to be able to sleep at night.

Oh, I do get some improvement if I completely avoid the milk protein called caseine. It gets louder for a period of time -sometimes days. It gets quieter then, but does not go away.

The You Tube sleep videos at 432 hertz work best for me. I also can go to sleep with some astronomy shows and oddly enough, Doctor G.

Whatever works!

2 Likes