Family history of rupture and wanting to start a family

Hello, I am new here so please excuse me if there is already a thread regarding this. I have a family history of aneurysm rupture and have recently found out I have 2 aneurysms. I now have to make the tough decision to either have the surgery now or start a family now. The doctor told me if i have the surgery now I would have to put my dream of having a family on hold because they would put me on a medication that it is highly recommended to not get pregnant while taking. Has anyone here had to make this decision? Has anyone gotten pregnant while having an unsecured aneurysm?

1 Like

Welcome Kim! We are so glad you found us. There have been several women who have delivered healthy term babies. For the life of me I cannot remember if they were on the watch list, or had ruptured, or had the aneurysm repaired. It’s good you have started a new thread, don’t worry about it. I hope the women respond, but it may take awhile. In the meantime, I did a quick search just using the word “pregnancy” using our search icon up at the top. This is what came up for me: https://www.bafsupport.org/search?q=Pregnancy

2 Likes

Get another opinion. Not everyone goes on medication after aneurysm surgery. Check with your OB and neurologist.

2 Likes

Kim, I had two unknown and unsecured aneurysms while having two babies (and we think with all four of our kids). Since discovering them both in 2018 I have had one clipped. What does your surgeon say about the risk of rupture if you have a c-section, etc. Kim, how old are you? I think you need to wait. Your blood flow, and body’s chemistry changes when you are pregnant. My family history also entails both my mom’s brother and mother dying from burst aneurysms.

2 Likes

So my husband just said for you to have those babies NOW! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Otherwise, you won’t have them. Gd is good!

1 Like

Kim,

I think she is right, you need another trustworthy opinion.
Some aneurysm needs to get it done sooner. Depend on your situation

For my case, the doc wants to give me surgery right away, I just put a hope to get 2 weeks later because I have another emergency situation.

I have had 16 mm aneurysm with blood clot, then i calculated how long I could live which the blood flows. Finally I got surgery. Every moment counted, including after surgery.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I ended up having a friend that knows a Neuro doctor and got a chance to chat with her and she helped me out tremendously.

1 Like

I am so sorry for your losses. I am 35. I ended up getting a second opinion and have an appointment for a 3rd opinion. The 2nd opinion was completely opposite from the 1st. She told me to watch and wait and have some babies, lol. Thank you for your advice and sharing a little of your story with me.

1 Like

Love this!! I agree with your husband.

1 Like

Welcome Kim. The only medication that will be a definite is a blood thinner. That said, I am not planning of getting pregnant, ever. I do however agree that I would seek the advice of another doctor. There are lots of risks to take into consideration though. If you hold off surgery, high blood pressure is a problem with aneurysms and also a common side effect in the last trimester. Just know all the facts before you make a decision.

2 Likes

Thank you. I have had a second opinion and feel much better with my treatment plan.

1 Like