Doctor said that chance of aneurysm rupture increases by 1 percent each year

My mom met with her neurosurgeon regarding the monitoring of her unruptured aneurysm. The doctor said that each year the chance of rupture increase by 1 percent from the date of the official diagnosis. How accurate is this? This is causing me to worry. I thought the chance of rupture each year decreased if your aneurysm was stable and showed no signs of change or growth.

Age size sex all:are factors. The studies range so much in methodologies its hard for me to draw a coclusion (numbers on studies is what I do in real life) I have seen that number and it applies primarily to women with annies less than 10mm. At the same time the risk of rupture is 3% on the high side. I don't mean to minimize anything, but as long as we are batting numbers around, remember 1 in 50 folks walking around have an annie.

There are so many numbers, so many ways of looking at it. Louisa has it right go to your moms next appointment. There is only one question you need ask. Look the doc square in the eye and ask him point blank. "If this was your mother what would you do." He had best have a straight answer. If not you need an answer elsewhere.

Hi Andrea,

The doctor is causing me to worry. My mom was also admitted at UCLA for her aneurysm a few years ago and the doctors said that the risk of rupture was very low and the risk of surgery and coiling were high. Now, this doctor is saying that the rate of rupture increases every year. Have you had a similar experience to this?

AndreaLynn said:

I believe that what the Doctor could have meant is if the aneurysm is not somehow obliterated that the chance of a rupture would likely increase with each year that goes by....I don't know how the doctor could say this though with %100 confidence or accuracy.There are too many variables & many do not burst and instead the person with the aneurysm drops dead from something else entirely.And yes, an aneurysm that shows growth is an aneurysm to be leery of, small or large.

Regards,

Andrea Lynn

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely go to my mom's next appointment and ask all these questions that I am too afraid to ask. But its better to speak up and know all the factors!

tj1 said:

Age size sex all:are factors. The studies range so much in methodologies its hard for me to draw a coclusion (numbers on studies is what I do in real life) I have seen that number and it applies primarily to women with annies less than 10mm. At the same time the risk of rupture is 3% on the high side. I don't mean to minimize anything, but as long as we are batting numbers around, remember 1 in 50 folks walking around have an annie.

There are so many numbers, so many ways of looking at it. Louisa has it right go to your moms next appointment. There is only one question you need ask. Look the doc square in the eye and ask him point blank. "If this was your mother what would you do." He had best have a straight answer. If not you need an answer elsewhere.

Thanks Louisa! I will definitely go to her next appointment and and discuss it with the doc.

Louisa C said:

Nhayat, my neurosurgeon did mention that age did have something to do with the percentage of having a rupture, but PLEASE, talk to the Mom's doctor or go to your Mom's next appointment and discuss this with him. Stay Strong & Positive, Sweetie!

Hi everyone. I was told of the percentages of rupture also. However I do feel, in addition, the odds can be different for each person depending on their lifestyle, the stress, family support, etc. If ones life is chaotic or unhappy then the odds of a rupture are probably higher. Since my craniotomy 3 years ago there have been some upsetting moments and when I do get upset I find there is the more than normal inner head pain or bad headaches. Sometimes the problems are NOT within our control to fix and we deal with them the best we can, but they are still stressful. I am not referring to life's "normal" problems we all have, but the extreme problems some families do go through. JMO, and hope all goes well. Jeanne