Difficult coping with late effects of brain injury

My wife’s situation is very similar to yours. Her rupture was 5.5 years ago. Walking is pretty good. When she needs to look to the side, change direction, or step up or down, she needs to stop and then gingerly go on. Otherwise she tends to lose her balance. Every person seems to have different issues, but it is helpful and encouraging to see how people are coping with the same issues. We are certain this is a result of the annie–Ruth was not that kind of person before.

3 Likes

Thank you, I’m sure you know this, sometimes we feel all alone, this helps more than you realize.

1 Like

Thank you for your support! It hurts so and I am dreading going to work tomorrow! I hope you are doing well!

Dana

1 Like

Sorry for seeing this so late - I am not on this site very often. I kept having problems and at my insistence my GP finally sent me to a Neuro-Psychologist who diagnosed me with Neuro-Cognitive Disorder caused by the brain surgery. I was already on SSDI, but when they sent me a review form I enclosed the letter from that doctor who stated that he did not think I would be able to return to the work place. I still would like to work at some point, I just don’t know what - so I will just volunteer in the meantime.
Another thing he recommended was speech therapy, which I finally had for 5 months. Best thing ever - my agitation, anxiety went away and I can think better. Doesn’t help me with remembering words, but hey, you can’t have everything. I still do some of the brain games - you lose some of it if you don’t keep up occasionally. One of the best advice that my speech therapist gave me - don’t ever pay for sites or brain games. There are plenty of free ones on the internet and she was right. One of my biggest concerns was if I had Alzheimer’s and he said he didn’t think so, but we would know in the next year. I haven’t gotten worse and it’s been over 2 years now - so no to
Alzheimers!! Good luck to everyone who is having problems - it does get better. It just sometimes takes a while to accept the new you and figure out how to cope with working or not working (which is hard financially for some, including me).

Take care, Sherri

1 Like

Jeannie, my coiling was in 2012 so 5 years for me too. I have those balance issues too when turning. So frustrating! My neurologist sent me to physical therapy, which helped a little, but it still happens. I’m obscurely comforted to find someone else with this issue. Something odd to add: when my aneurysm ruptured I remember standing up to go to the ER and none of my body parts seemed to be in the right place. It was like one foot was on my hip and the other was around my ear. I feel like it happens now and makes me dizzy when I turn suddenly (and sometimes when I’m not standing.)

1 Like

My husband tells me all the time that I had problems with time management before and so I remind him. Well add an extra hour to that now! It makes him mad at me but it is the truth!

1 Like

I think you have to admit to yourself you have a brain injury, but also you are a Survivor. Ten years ago we did not know we survived these burst aneurysms and I really do not think Doctors or the people do not know how to treat us. We have people in our life Leave Us because “we are different than before” but we might Look the same. We act different. Heck Yes we Do, because We Are! THE FATIGUE, THE HEADACHES, MIGRAINES, ANXIETY, FALLING-DOWN, PAIN, NOT UNDERSTANDING WHAT PEOPLE SAID, SHORT TERM MEMORY, INCONTENCE shall I go on. Even our own Family does not understand. Heck I lost both of my sisters. So I could NOT work anymore, some can,. But Thank God for Benefits for us that can’t. And maybe if it gets to much stop thinking you can do it all, because you have been through a lot, and give up something. You are not Superman, Take naps and take care. You survived.

3 Likes

Hi Dan, So sorry this happened. I , too have had a lot of stress. If you can call Soc Sec in your area, maybe they can help you through the paperwork. I had a wonderful woman help me through it. Got it through her help! I have some headaches,. Thank goodness for my patient husband.There are people that can help. I have taken MCT oil and Lion’s Mane along with a supplement called BRAIN by Fungi Perfecti. Very helpful. Blue skies, Glenda Ps Sorry if typos… Only can type w one finger on L hand. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just cking in and saw this about balance issues. I had my surgeries in June and July of 2016 and I also have balance issues. Sometimes I’m fine and others…oh boy. After showers my balance is bad for about an hour. I always say I don’t have my land legs yet. I had aneurysms on my left side and my right side. I have 5 PEDs that were put in. If you ever find anything to help with the balance issues let me know.
Wishing you all well.

I learned to take warm showers, not hot helps with balance issues after a shower.

1 Like