Difficult coping with late effects of brain injury

Hey, Dan! Obviously i don’t know much of anything surrounding your medical history, prescriptions,etc.
who is your family? Does the frustration occur in any other setting? Rather than depression/anxiety, my guess is that you are suffering from a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Thing is,
the medicine would be exactly the same; treating the symptoms. Whether or not you stay with this job, I would suggest finding a very good psychologist/psychiatrist with whom you could talk and get counseling in addition to Meds.
You’ve been through a traumatic experience. You have “Lost” some of your foundation to stand on and cope with any continuing stressors.
Living a “normal, active life” is best as much as possible. While work is causing so much stress and frustration, not working now, will only give you temporary resolve. SSDI is generally nowhere near your current income. A difference in income may soon cause stress, also.

2 Likes

Hi Dan, First off I want to say thanks for sharing with us. For me asking for help, especially help with my feelings or behaviour, can be the hardest part. I hope we can help in some way. From your posting I have two initial ideas.
Firstly, is it possible that it is a medication side effect or a side effect caused by two or more meds interacting… A lot of meds have medium and long term effects that are quite surprising when you look them up. My pharmacist has been more helpful with these kinds of questions than my Doctor, but researching meds on the internet my self has been the most effective approach.
Secondly, I think that Jill Max has a good idea. Some professional counselling might help. I had not thought of PTSD in relation to our kinds of brain injures, but why not? I know my brain bleed was traumatic for me and I am sure yours had to be too.
I hope you find some help, here or elsewhere. Good luck and please keep us updated, we all benefit when a fellow survivor will share openly with us.

2 Likes

Definitely get a psyche eval for disability it helps tremendously. If you do get denied reapply right away and just keep pushing for your rights, maybe talk to an outside advocate for disability. Good luck!

3 Likes

Thank you for all who replied. Some very good advice. I checked up on the meds and they are doing what we want them too do. None should be countering the others. I do have an appointment with a neursycologist in a week, my doctor is thinking Ptsd as well and after this appointment I will look into councilors. All stress is from work related issues, public and coworkers. Am worried about financial issues as well but hoping my work disability retirement and social security disability will get me to at least 80% of what my income is now. My wife works full time and we will be covered by insurance from her employer, plus my wife is 100% behind me in the choice to get out of my working and being wiped out after work. Thank you for your thoughts and ideas to deal with this. After almost 4 yrs since brain bleed thought that would be over these issues. But maybe I should have accepted that I needed help a few years ago instead of pushing on by myself and I wouldn't be having these issues now. Have been working so much around the house getting caught up on home maintenance issues is exhausting but no stress. I will post again as I progress hopefully withgood results. And again thank you for the advice.

2 Likes

Took me almost 6 years but finally got it , they keep denying you , I’ve changed so much also , keep up the fight not a easy road

1 Like

I’ve started suffer after 5 yrs w loss of balance and my eyesight on right side is awful I go thru dabilitating headaches my last was 17 days long ugh it’s not everyday but I go blank hang in there pray n pray

3 Likes

its ptsd and the effects, i like the ideas here of researching meds and possibly discontinuing, less is more! I disagree with your dr very strongly- you will not get worse as he suggested, i am 7 yrs post gr5 sah w a 6 day coma and had to re-learn walking talking and even eating! Improvement is slow tho. You seem like an upbeat positive person that recognizes his faults and deficits and has the love in his heart to reconcile- thats step one. I would just apologize to the people you snapped on(if they didnt deserve it) of course. And go from there one step at a time. Dont be hard on yourself, you are an innocent victum of a horrible affliction and you are doing your best to deal with idiots, morons and meanies-lol tc hey im glad you are sharing with us, it will help you and us, win win! oh sorry editting, i just read your last entry! did you research the side effects too? some anti depressants actually have very negative effects on certain individuals, tc oh btw im so happy your wife is with you and able to work- you will be

4 Likes

Update I have officially retired. About 4 years earlier than anticipated but, after my neurophysiology evaluation had decided to not try and work anymore, with the support of the physiologist and my wife. Retired disability and have applied for social Security disability. Had 26 yrs in and qualified for disability and after 4 months was approved. Still waiting for social Security. Couldn’t be better family wise and health wise. Taking less meds for anxiety and spend more time with my son . working with dr talking thru difficulties, and don’t feel like I’m letting myself or my family down. Moving forward not looking back and focusing on my health and my family. Still have issues but very little stress to add to them. I hope others have good days working thru any affects they have as survivors and caregivers.

8 Likes

Thanks for the uplifting update Dan :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dan, the BAF had a blog from a disability lawyer. She had put in great things for how to get disability I think she was from PA or one of the Northern states. It took me four years to get approved. I think he call to my Senator really helped because my case was reviewed and accepted two weeks later. They only went back to my 55th birthday, not 53rd when I ruptured. Lawyer said my age and educational level hurt me in receiving SS. 55 seems to be a magic age.

Good luck!

5 Likes

I am currently have the same type issues. It has been 2yrs since my aneurysm and I keep feeling as if I am not liked at work! Situations with my supervisor are unbearable. I cry uncontrollably, because I feel that I am being treated as if I am not competent in successfully doing my job. I work constantly and am trying to prove that I am worthy. My supervisor gives me the silent treatment and when I do succeed in my duties, I receive complements from others except from my supervisor. Is it just in my head or do I need a break from my job?

1 Like

What was your relationship with your supervisor like before the injury.? If it was good maybe take your supervisor out to lunch and see if a discussion can help. If it was not good before the injury not sure what could help. It is a difficult situation to be in. I wasn’t able to fix anything with Co workers wish I had more to help

1 Like

wow congrates!! happy for you! I always tell people things will improve and you are living proof! I’m 7 yrs post sah and permanently disabled and know the tough road we tred. your family should be proud of you and i bet most are. Thank you for sharing bro, you made my day! tc

2 Likes

Congrats on doing better - sorry I am just now joining the conversation. Did you have any type of speech therapy? I finally convinced my doctor to send me to a neuropsychologist a few years ago and was diagnosed with neuro cognitive disorder. 5 months of speech therapy helped me immensely - I was able to not get so frustrated and shut myself down when I was overwhelmed and my test scores went up, some considerably. The therapy ended about a year ago and when I have lapses in my “brain games”, I really don’t feel as sharp and “on my game”. I have been faithfully doing my assortment of games daily for the past few months - I am amazed when I see my cheat sheets where I used to have to write down the numbers that were missing on soduko because I couldn’t remember them while doing the puzzles. Now, I don’t need to write them down. I still have a lot of trouble at times remembering words, but that is something that I have had to accept. It sounds as if you have found some peace too and hope you continue to get better emotionally and otherwise. Take good care and I hope you get SSDI soon.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Your statement “Dont be hard on yourself, you are an innocent victum of a horrible affliction and you are doing your best…” is a reminder most of us need daily. 18 months from 2nd open surgery with a few energy, mobility and memory isssues, however your post is honest and encouraging.

1 Like

hiya i hope this finds u well, wow your dr sounds much more in tune to our issues, mine offers ziltch even tho he has in house phych’s - i was amazed to see a physc plaque on a door there, I would think a consult with him/her would be automatic since Mayo says we all have PTSD to some extent?? tc

2 Likes

Good Morning, thank you for sharing this, It has been 5 years since my surgery 2 coils and a stent and for about 9 months now I am experiencing balance problems when making a turn when walking, thought I was going crazy , my reg dr tells me its all in my head, meaning my mind, but I kept wondering if this was a delayed reaction to the annie, , thank you for sharing this, we all share so many of the same issues and it helps us all to get thru the daily challenges.

4 Likes

I have that balancing problem also, its not all the time but it happens.
I have one coil and do have stents. it has been 13 years for me and I still feel like I am going crazy at times because no one understands.
oh and don’t let me HURRY, I malfunction if I have to rush, its like I have a short in my “circuit” I am giggling now but its the truth seriously, I get up
an hour earlier than I use to get ready for work… and sometimes have to
stay over to accomplish what I did before the bleed.
v

3 Likes

I sympathize with Chacha I too got treated very poorly at work, they are supposed to be professionals and these big Christians who do not miss church on Sunday… but they have compassion the size of a microdot… I think they are just totally unaware of what we all went through, we do need awareness for people to understand or at least try to understand the severity of what we survived.
So sorry for you
V

1 Like

My wife’s situation is very similar to yours. Her rupture was 5.5 years ago. Walking is pretty good. When she needs to look to the side, change direction, or step up or down, she needs to stop and then gingerly go on. Otherwise she tends to lose her balance. Every person seems to have different issues, but it is helpful and encouraging to see how people are coping with the same issues. We are certain this is a result of the annie–Ruth was not that kind of person before.

3 Likes