Brain Aneurysm Support Community

Blood Thinners & Thyroid Biopsy

I had a stent placement on 12/4/19. The tests that were taken showed a nodule on my thyroid. Yesterday, I had an ultrasound on my thyroid, which showed two nodules. My primary doctor called me last night to tell me that I need a biopsy on both nodules.

I called to schedule the biopsy this morning. I was told I must come off the blood thinners a week before the procedure. I have sent a message to my neurosurgeon regarding this.

Has anyone else had an issue similar to this. My primary did mention that these two nodules will most likely need to be removed.

Thanks,

Mary

Welcome Ms Mary67! Many folks are on aspirin or other blood thinners. I’m not one, sorry I can’t help in that way. However, my Dad who was on blood thinners always had to stop before certain procedures due to the risk of bleeding out during the procedure. I’m glad you’ve already contacted your neurosurgeon. I hope some members with stents will chime in. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Thank you!

I was told that the Pathology Department will do the biopsy with me on Plavix and Aspirin. I am just waiting to hear from my primary as she has to put the order in. I was told I most likely will not be able to have surgery to remove the nodules and/or thyroid.

My neurosurgeon says that I cannot come off the blood thinners. They said if I do, I will have a stroke.

I feel like I am in a revolving door. For now I will enjoy the holidays and then deal with this.

1 Like