Anyone with any familial trends to anuerysms that are NOT brain?

Hi, so they found my splenic and brain aneurysm when I was being screened for an aortic aneurysm. My mom, and her brother and dad all had aortic aneurysms, her brother died from his. I met with a doc that studies familial inheritance for aortic anuerysms and she thought mine splenic one was unrelated to their aortic ones. She has moved from the area, and now my brain one is in the equation. I feel like since we all have aneurysms there is a chance it is related to something familial. I am not sure where to look for the right doctor to ask about that. I am wondering because I want to know if my kids should be getting screened as young adults. The most common guidelines I have found are if you have two first degree relatives with brain aneurysms then get screened. But they only have me (but then all the aortic ones in my mom’s family). My sister was recently screened and she is clean, aorta, brain and spleen. My brother is planning to get checked soon, though his aorta was clear at a screening 12 years ago. Heart docs see my aorta is clean so don’t assume familial issues. I am the only one we know of that has a brain aneurysm, so no cluster there. And yet there is for sure a cluster of assorted anuerysms, but no known connective tissue syndrom. Just thought it would be worth asking here.

2 Likes

I was the only one, that we know of in my family, that had a brain aneurysm. Neither of my sisters got checked and both of my parents had passed. Both of my young adult children were screened with MRA and they plan to do it again at the 10 year mark. They were covered by insurance which, of course, is an important consideration. I certainly felt better knowing that they do not presently have an aneurysm. If they are able to do it, it will give you peace of mind for their sake, and then you can hopefully focus on what you need to have taken care of.

3 Likes

Hi There,
I’m sorry to hear about your family health history. I’m sure it is hard to relax when you are worried about your children. To be honest you have every right to be concerned. I was diagnosed 11 years ago with a brain aneurysm located in the ophthalmic artery. My neurosurgeon said it was small and suggested wait and watch ( basically no surgery just follow up MRI’s yearly). I was very concerned the first five years and always worried about my kids but I was told it was not likely they had anything. Well three years ago almost to the day my son had brain surgery to clip and coil a brain aneurysm in his carotid artery. Symptoms were similar to mine ear noise and fullness and facial discomfort with headaches. They always told us it was allergies. Then he found a physician that asked about family health history and ordered an MRI. That saved his life. Unlike me his grew in two months and two months later after 2 other opinions they went ahead with surgery. He has had two angiograms since then to check the artery and coil. He is on a blood thinner for life but has resumed all normal activities. He will be 30 years old this week. After his diagnosis all my children were recommended for brain scans. Only two others went. They were clear. The third has not gone.
I would probably ask loved to get scans just to have piece of mind while you do more research.
I hope you find some comfort in knowing that there are things you can do to help you get answers.
Please take care.

Lyd

3 Likes

Before I left NSICU after I ruptured, my Neurosurgeon directed us to contact my siblings and their children as she believes there is a genetic trait. I also remember reading that if one has an aneurysm, they can develop anywhere in the body. My GYN holds this belief. I found this article Routine screening for individuals with a family history of aneurysm - Mayo Clinic

My father had SLE and I have developed Dermatomyositis after I ruptured, no one else in the family has a connective tissue disorder. I think a medical geneticist would be the doctor who may be able to answer your question.

2 Likes

When they found my cranial aneurysms I notified my family, as I’m from a family with 11 kids and 8 are still living. I learned my oldest brother has an abdominal aneurysm and a middle sister has an atrial aneurysm!! I would think it’s genetic so hopefully I can remember to ask my doctor next time we talk!

2 Likes

Thank you so very much for the Mayo Clinic link! Now I can forward it to my family and validate my recommendation to get screened!!

1 Like

I am new to the group but I had a younger sister who had two Brain Aneurysm rupture she passed out in shower which cause them to seal back up and that is one reason she is still alive. I am also here to get more educated at how this changed her life and her. After that myself and three siblings were checked due to the Dr saying they were hereditary . Her surgery was the morning after they ruptured and then my Middle sister had surgery two months after due to her having one large Aneurysm, Myself I had four of them I had a pipeline diverter put in three of mine and the fourth one was two small on the other side so that is being watched. If I have dates correct we all should be hitting our 5 year mark. My oldest sister had her surgery after me she had two and had stents put in and then had two small strokes after her surgery. All our children have been checked and will need to be checked again. It was crazy emotional for all of us to be going through this . I think I have to have my next angiogram sometime next year but I am nervous due to my sister with the strokes. I am also going to be looking for post on trying to understand what my youngest sister is going through. It is really sad how it has changed her and her personality. We were all very fortunate to have a good Dr. Thank you for letting me start here with my story and how this has affected my entire family but sadly my youngest sister the most. They told us 3 % survive what she went through .

1 Like

That’s a lot of family history! I’m glad all the children are being watched. I have some family members that are being watched and others who think it won’t happen to them, unfortunately. All we could do is what my Neurosurgeon told us to do the first time we met her after my surgery and let the family know. If you don’t find posts that answer your questions on your younger sister, just start a new topic. If you need any help, please reach out to myself (@Moltroub) or the wonderful team that makes up @ModSupport!

@Moltroub thank you hopefully the next generation will be ok but blessed that they are all on top of it and will be. I pray everyday that everyone still continues to do ok except my younger sister who still has many struggles. That is why I decided to reach out and join this group and as I learn to navigate your sight I hope it helps me . Thank You

For those of us who have ruptured, we and our loved ones get to experience a new learning curve, that’s for sure. The members here are fantastic and I’m sure you will learn many things!

So I had an appointment with the doctor I met with a few years ago. Given the second aneurysm she does think it makes sense to do some genetic testing, so I will get in sometime in the next couple months when new appointments open up with the geneticist she suggested. Gives me peace of mind that if there is a hereditary factor we might find what it is. And talking with the geneticist we can talk about by what age my kids should get screened. Thanks for your stories, it helps to hear what other families has found.

2 Likes

I’m so proud of all of you – what a challenge for the whole family! Strength to each of you!

2 Likes

I had the same doctor who took care of my dad for a unique cancer resulting from treatment of his teenage cancer, and given my age (25) of the aneurysm burst despite no known family history, the doctor insisted both my brother and sister be screened. They do not have aneurysms – other weirdness, yes, but no aneurysm. :wink: Truly, I never thought about having my children screened – though when thinking about comments they have made, I am guessing they have a concern for hereditary. Thank you for sharing your concern – I will have a chat with my kids and see if they can get screened. Good to have a baseline, regardless.

2 Likes

Thank you !! My sister saved all our lives ! Hopefully we will all continue to do well. I pray that none of our children will have to deal with any of this . Glad you are doing ok and having the kids checked might not be a bad Idea at this point all of ours are good <3 Take Care

1 Like

There is a facebook group called Brain Aneurysm Survivors where there is alot of sharing of what people are facing post rupture. That might be a great place for you to begin to understand what she is going through. You can join if you are the family of a survivor, or if you have an unruptured one.

1 Like

Thank you I appreciate it . I will have to check it out !!

In the magnifier icon at top of the -ages you can search ruptured aneurysms and it will show you results of the specific topic. I hope this helps!

I’m from a family of 11 kids and so far 3 of us have aneurysms and I think we may have 2 others since they fell unconscious and testing done came up empty. They have not been checked for potential aneurysms as I suggested.

Care to you & your family,
Marsi

2 Likes

I hope you and your family are doing well. I pray that your siblings are all ok also. Thank You
Prayers to your family
Karen