Anyone else have their MRI table shake?

I had an MRI/A done a month or so ago. For the first time ever, the table shook like we were having an earthquake, a rare event in NC. Earthquakes here are not on the scale that California has. I never experienced it before with the numerous images I’ve had. So I was wondering if anyone else has felt this. I really thought I was going to come off the table or it was going to fall apart. I cannot for the life of me remember if it was during the MRI part or when I had to get back on for the MRA that they failed to tell the tech was ordered. Unfortunately I forgot to tell the tech or ask him.

Hey Moltroub,
Yes, I’ve had the table shake during the MRI (I haven’t had an MRA). But when you consider the banging and clanging an MRI machine goes through in the scanning process, I’m not surprised something has some sort of wear-and-tear. In my case it was more a strong vibration, than a shaking though. I didn’t feel like I may fall off at any point.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

Thanks Merl! I did expect the little vibration as you mention, but not what I experienced. The sounds were a bit off as well, not so many of what I call the tug boat and car horns sounds. Maybe it’s just a difference in machines. I usually get them at the Outpatient MRI across from the hospital, but this was a completely different facility.

For those that don’t know, it’s the same machine, just a little bit of extra time, the MRI shows soft tissue, the MRA shows blood flow in the vessels.

Ahhh, now I had to go have a scan, it too was at a different facility and the difference was the ‘T’ rating of the machine. This scan was of soft tissue (from memory(and I’m talking MY memory)) it was a T1.5. My usual machine is a T3. My limited understanding of it is that the magnets are rated in Teslas, hence the ‘T’. The higher the ‘T’ rating, the finer the slices or the more detailed the images. The machine still banged and clanged, but it was not the same as the T3.

Might be interesting to find out a bit more about each machine.

I never thought of that Merl. In fact I never thought of it until you and @starbirder were discussing it under another topic. I’m not scheduled for another until later this year or next, I’ve forgotten…but I will try to remember to ask!

Thought I’d clarify somewhat, upon doing a bit of investigations.
it seems (and again this is in REALLY basic terms). The differing T ratings show different functions.

1.5T will show soft tissue structures
2T shows fluid
3T shows the flow and separation of fluids ie blood vs CSF

As many of my issues relate to the CSF and it’s flow, this maybe why 90% of my scans have been 3T.

Thanks Merl! This is how I learned the difference MRI vs MRA: What's the Difference? - Baptist Health Blog which doesn’t explain the different settings, just what the two images show.

Cool Info Merl, my card for Pipeline & newer Flex Pipeline

2 Likes

I was told by rep of Company, that these cards are placed in each package containing the devices. People need to ask their Drs for them, I travel and need the info, just in case. Just saying…

That’s great! You are really encouraging myself and others to pay attention to the stent cards our physicians give us, I cannot thank you enough. Mine was handed to BH after my procedure when she did rounds and explained I needed to keep it with me at all times. I really need to take a picture of it and put with the health info on my phone just so EMS can see it immediately should the need arise.

Big hugs!

1 Like

People need to ask their dr’s for them??? WHY? It should be mandatory that it’s provided to the patient.
I get a little annoyed with that ‘Need to know’ (and as the patient you don’t) attitude. I too have an ‘appliance’ and I’ve been given mixed messages about it all, ever since it was installed 20+ yr ago.

They upgraded the appliance 10yr ago, telling me, “…you can never have an MRI again…” but twice since then I’ve had an MRI??? so to say ‘I’m confused’ is an understatement. In my view we should not have to ‘flip a coin’ and hope all is OK, we need those details.

For my experience with an MRI and a hospital different from the one I normally go to for images, a tech stated I couldn’t have one and became quite argumentative about it. But he was incorrect. From what the other tech said, there’s more of a concern with devices in our brain from sometime in the 1990’s. Two techs, one with knowledge far greater than the other, I imagine as with all things, it’s up to the doctor ordering the image and of course evolvement of medical science.

Now, that can also depend on the type of device/appliance the patient may have in situ. With my 90’s device I had no issues with any scans, but since they changed the device in '13 there has been a few instances where the radiologist has been unsure. In one such case the dr ordered a scan but the radiologist decided against the request. I knew what was requested and queried the radiologist and, yea, he became rather impertinent/argumentative when I quizzed him. The ordering dr was, let’s just say, less than impressed, wheeling me straight back down to radiology and ripped into the radiologist
“You’re a glorified photographer. I order the scans and you take the pictures. That is your only job.” The radiologist was like spurned puppy and, with his tail between his legs, did as he was told.

1 Like