Any suggestions for better sleep?

Hi there…

Two to three months ago I started to notice that I've been suffering from post-traumatic stress. I have barely been getting a "good" nights sleep, which isn't helping anything. I've been to my doctor and he's prescribed me something to help with the stress, however still not sleeping well. I'm physically, emotionally and mentally drained. Does anyone know of anything that can help with sleep that doesn't involve sleeping pills? I don't want to start taking sleeping pills because I don't want to become dependent on them...plus I don't care for taking pills.

If anyone had any suggestions or comments please let me know.

Thanks.

Have you tried acupuncture, massage or talking with a Social Worker? Better than pills that give further side effects. I hope you can get some sleep soon.

Hy Kaye,

My neurologist put me on Amitripyline (Amitriptyline Brand names: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip) which is an antidepressant, but it also helps with my head pain, and it makes me drosy so I can sleep. I started at a much higher dose, but have slowly brought the dosage down. It has really worked for me. I’m not depressed, my head pain has subsided and I take the amitripyline about an hour before bed and it helps me sleep. It’s not for everyone, though.

Sleep is estential to healing, so please talk to your doctor. Good luck!
JulieNH

Thanks for writing back. I had been to my doctors and I am starting to feel better with the PTSD, but still tired. He said I should try Melatonin, its a supplement that helps the body to relax and become tired. I can’t really tell if it’s working or not, however I just started taking it a few days ago.

Has anyone ever tried Melatonin?