Brain Aneurysm Support Community

About the Personal Stories category

Share your “annie” story for yourself and to help others

This week is my 1 year anniversary from my clipping everything is going great I have some scar pain and some laughing issues when I should not be laughing :disappointed: But life is awesome and I’m feeling great​:smile::heart:

My aneurysm was discovered by accident by a dear dear friend of mine who is an ENT doc. I’m a 72 year old female and I have been a walker for 40 years. Thank God I’ve always been very healthy. I walked 4 miles a day in about an hour and five minutes. I did that for many years 5 to 6 days a week. Last March I noticed when I was walking that I wasn’t walking in a straight line. When I would walk with my daughter finally she said to me, mom I love you but you keep running into me. Then to add to that I noticed that my hearing in my left ear was progressively getting worse and worse. I called my good friend who is the ENT doc and he asked if I had a recent MRI. I told him I had one from 3 years ago that was taken because I’ve been getting migraines for over 25 years. I was seeing a neurologist for my migraines. He ordered an MRI to make sure I didn’t have a tumor. He said the MRI came back just fine. I told my ENT friend that was the only MRI that I had. He asked to see it and when he looked at it he discovered an aneurysm that nobody else had caught. So apparently I was walking around with that for 3 years. Now granted it was relatively small on the MRI from three years ago. He told me the area where I had the aneurysm was pressing against my nerves for balance and hearing! I was overjoyed to find out there was an actual reason for what was going on with me. My friend ordered another MRI and it came back that I now had a large aneurysm. Being a doctor himself, he did the research for me and found an amazing neurologist in the Minneapolis area. The neurologist recommended the coil method. I went through that surgery and after 2 1/2 hours they realized that wasn’t going to work because the aneurysm was so deep in my left side. They stopped the surgery. I was devastated when I came out of the sedation. But they explained to me that it would’ve been more dangerous to continue. It was then decided that I needed a full craniotomy. I had that on November 28. So thankfully they were able to cut off the blood supply to my large aneurysm. It has been three months since my surgery and I’ve been experiencing what I thought was lightheadedness so they ordered another MRI. Thankfully that came back showing that the aneurysm has clotted. I am now completely deaf in my left ear and my balance is still “off”. Is there anyone out there that has had a similar situation? My neurologist and my ENT friend have both said they think there’s a good possibility I could get some of my hearing back and my balance issues will improve. I would sincerely love to hear from anybody that could address this issue. Obviously I am incredibly thankful that the aneurysm was found and know it could’ve been so much worse. As I said I just want to see if anyone else has experienced this type of thing. Thank you so much for any help I can get!!

I was knocked down in the street, and subsequent CT scan for for a broken nose also showed a large aneurysm, 13mm. I am 84 years old with COPD on oxygen 24/7 but otherwise healthy and active. Initially, the surgeon wanted to insert intervascular coils, but a contrast scan showed an aneurysm so embedded in the Circle of Willis that he thinks an operation would likely do more harm than good. He tell me I have of 36% chance of the aneurysm bursting in the next ten years (my family is long lived). I have accepted his judgment, but I feel greatly uneasy walking around with a time bomb in my head. Has anyone here in a similar situation?

Hi Everyone,
I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm that is 2.88 mm in size. The doctor that I saw is fairly young well younger then I am and well I am 41. I know she went through lots of schooling but anyway I felt like she didn’t even look at all my scans. Anyway my father died at 56 years of age from a massive stroke and my uncle had a ruptured aneurysm at 36 he is in his 60s now and doing well. She wants me to monitor it. Check back in 6 months. How do you just wait? She also says that it has to be a direct relative to count as two so if it was a sister or brother or mother then they would operate. I am having a hard time not thinking about it all the time. I am going for a 2nd opinion but I still feel so un easy. I have been getting headaches in the back of my head on the left side where your skull meets the neck and then on the top of my left eye going all the way back. My doctor said it is unrelated? I am so confused. I am tired all the time and well just looking to see what others experience…