4 years ago

4 years ago a sudden ruptured brain aneurysm turned my world upside down. I have a laundry list of deficits, including horrible anxiety and short term memory loss. Some of the deficits are obvious and some become obvious only to those who live with me. Ruptured Brain aneurysm didn’t kill me but it killed the “me that I was” and gave my family and my friends the “new me”. I was at my perfect health and weight and exercising on a regular basis then suddenly boom. I was visiting the opposite side of the country at the time.

I never heard of the term brain aneurysm until I had “the worst headache of my life” while visiting Boston in June 2017. It came with out warning and if not for my sister being there and taking me to the hospital, I wouldn’t be here today.

2 Likes

@Annc that thunderclap headache is awful isn’t it? We are in the same age group and change is part of life. But we sure didn’t expect the changes that come with a rupture, did we? Your sister being there was a miracle. How are you doing now? Are you still able to exercise some?

All the best,
Moltroub

Since my ruptured aneurysm my energy level has been really low. I need daily naps. I’ve put on weight and need to get back into better shape. I’ve started to walk more and have a watch that counts steps. I’m trying to get a minimum of 10,000 steps in a day. That is my goal and occasionally I come close. How are you physically? You said we are close in age, how long ago was your ruptured aneurysm and do you get tried easily?

@Annc you’re walking more than I am most days, good for you! I’m doing much better physically since rupturing. However, I forget I am no longer 20, though my body never forgets if you know what I mean. I often exceed the 40 pound limit the doctors put on me for weight to carry. The first few years were very hard on me and BH who had to do all the heavy lifting and housework.

I ruptured Nov 7, 2013, just had my 4th repair this past December and finally all is good! I’m still doing a happy dance and probably will for the remainder of my life.

I am 60 years old, looking forward to each and every birthday. I think for those of us who survive a rupture, life’s meanings change for the better. I had to laugh at your age question because when my Grandmother was alive and someone would ask her age, she would always say “I was born in ‘95 figure it out for yourself.” (1895, not 1995 for all the young people reading this) That is until I tried to figure it out but being so very young (around 5 if I recall correctly) my math skills were not very good and I made her 100 years older than she was. Two lessons for me - how to subtract math properly and never be afraid of your age!

Please don’t be a stranger here on the boards. Our trials and tribulations help each other, especially the new members who have recently ruptured or have had an aneurysm repaired. It’s good for them to know that with sweat, tears and persistence we can come back.

All the best,
Moltroub

2 Likes

Hi Annc. I too suffered a ruptured aneurysm 19 years ago. It left me a completely different person. I was outgoing and loved life, now I have extreme anxiety and hate going out. My son said its like looking at his mother but it not his mother. I am grateful that I lived to bring up my son but I wish with all my heart that I could be the person I used to be. I actually died three times when it ruptured but God spared me and for that I am forever grateful - people just had a hard time getting used to the new me.

@skippy Good Morning! Isn’t it interesting how we change? I used to be very quiet and after rupture, I couldn’t shut up once I got home. What do you do for your anxiety?

All the best,
Moltroub

Hi Skippy,

I’m sorry that you are still feeling this way 19 years later. Have you discussed how you feel with your doctor? I force myself to go out. Since my husband lost his vision and can’t drive and Uber is rarely available now, I’ve had to force myself to drive more. Short distances and backroads only. I do take meds to help with the anxiety otherwise we’d probably both be homebound.

1 Like

Yes that thunderclap headache is indeed memorable as it is also the very moment any doubt that something is not quite right vanish and you know with certainty you are in big trouble. Good thing we were not alone at this moment as I also think the outcome would be very much different.

It has been over 6 years for me and I must say I do struggle at times grieving a little for the me I left behind that day. At the same time I try hard to give the new me a little slack and not to expect so much as I need to remember how much more effort it takes my body and brain to accomplish the same tasks.

Letting go of some of those high expectations and also letting go of what others might think of me does give me peace. Sounds simple when I write it here but it is not so simple to execute in real life and I do need to remind myself often.

3 Likes