Brain Aneurysm Support Community

2mm PCOM Annie

My journey began at the start of the year when I knew something wasn;t right (headaches, numbness, neck pain, eye pain, dizziness, pulsatile tinnitus). I’ve a strong FH of brain haemorrhage. I had an MRI/MRA with contrast in March but they lost the results. It was done again in June and then had a CTA in July. Results show bilateral basal ganglia calicification, vascular loop - I got these results via letter…just got another letter last week saying CTA shows 2mm (wouldn’t put it past them to undersize it) PCOM aneurysm. How heartless. Tests were done via Aand e (general physician). So he’s told me this (letter) and said I’ll get an appoinyment with neurosurgery in 9 months. Complaints department (wrote to them about missing results) are blooming useless. Anyone else had to wait this long?

2 Likes

I had quicker results from my MRI/MRAs and CTA, but I am waiting 6 months to see a neurosurgeon. Mine is suspected to be 2mm and is in the MCA, but seems to be “stable.” I have had headaches, dizziness and face numbness too.
I hope you get some result from lodging your complaint.
Cheers,
Bertie

1 Like

Hi Bertie, Hope you are keeping your chin up. It’s a worry but I try not to think about it. Then there are moments I remember finding my mum lying on the floor and think - hope my kids don’t find me like that. So I’m going to live like a miser and cut my work hours! Let me know how you get on with your neurosurgeon and hope all goes well. Best Regards, Feefo

1 Like

Hello Feefo,
I’m keeping busy with small projects… Those bad thoughts do creep in… I too have a family history of aneurysms. It can be scary to think of the worst and the reaction of loved ones. I’m sorry you had to find your Mum that way.
Keep your stress down, and as Churchill said, K.B.O!
I will let you know how my appointment goes and please let me know how yours goes too. This message board is a great resource and the members are very kind and knowledgeable.
Take care of yourself,
Bertie

1 Like

Write to the head of the hospital, if your scans were done at one. Bypass the complaints department. Or since your in the UK, you might want to write the Minister of Health and let them know what’s going on under their charge.

On the other side of the coin, people are human and make mistakes. It sucks being on the receiving end of a person’s error, but there it is.

1 Like

So sorry this has happened to you. It is stressful even when they do things right. But really glad your going to see Nuro-Doctor. Now you know to ask for a copy of report to pick up yourself. My only problems was took me some time to get my insurance to approve to have surgery done at bigger hospital (UCLA.) Thankfully they did. Hope it gets better sounds like your going right direction. Best wishes! If you can let us know how it turns out. :wink::heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Hi Bertie, Hope your appt goes well too. I’m so glad I found this website. Other people don’t know how I’m thinking - I’ve only told my daughter so far and that was when she caught me reading the letter (that’s how they told me I had one).Best Wishes FeeFo

2 Likes

Hi teresaklingbiel, I’m still at the digesting phase but I’m fine most of the time. I hope your surgery goes well and that you keep well. I’ll keep an eye out on your posts xx

2 Likes

Hi Moltroub, thanks for this advice. I knew something wasn’t right but the general physician (the emergency department guy who arranged for the scans over the weeks following my ‘big headache’) thought I was neurotic. He didn’t have the courtesy to say he was wrong but I won’t let that annoy me. It’s not been a week yet since being told I had one. I’m wondering if I should tell my son he’s 21 and can be a bit of a handfulI.
I think there’s another one on my right side that hasn’t shown up yet. I see my GP on Monday so at least I can sit down and ask questions. I’ve written to my MP in the past about other matters so will write to her also (as well as the head of the hospital). Thank you so much, FeeFo

1 Like

It is a rare doctor that would admit to being incorrect. I have learned mostly in the last ten years that most doctors need to take a class in honesty…luckily for me, mine are extremely honest.

1 Like

Maybe try PALS? Each hospital in the UK has a PALS I think, and I think they are for situations similar to this. - https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/nhs-services-and-treatments/what-is-pals-patient-advice-and-liaison-service/

I’ve heard (not used them, but heard) that they are pretty effective at chasing things for patients. I mentioned them to someone else on a FB group (aneurysm group) and it sounds like they really helped a lady get her daughter seen by a neuro, when before she was struggling.

From what I hear they kinda take up your cause & chase the right people to get things done.

Maybe Google:

{Name of your hospital} PALS
or
{Name of your hospital} Patient Advice and Liaison Service

Not sure how useful this is, but hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
Neurosurgeon told me that they don’t do surgery until the aneurysm is 4mm, when I had my scan done they found 4 of them, one was 5mm, the other a bit smaller, the remaining 2 he said were smaller yet and he would watch those 2 and I had him do clippings on the other 2…I got my results in person, that’s lousy they sent that to you in the mail! My surgery was done 5 months from discovery as I was a caregiver for my husband and couldn’t go in sooner. Wishing you luck and peace, go after them for losing your results, that’s unaccceptable!

1 Like

I am so very sorry you have had such difficulties with medical facilities regarding something that we all know is very frightening. I discovered that I have a second aneurysm through overhearing casual conversation between my neurosurgeon and an OR tech while I was lying on a table having an angiogram. You have gotten some good advice from people who understand your medical system. I wish you all the best.

Did you say “Hello, I’m right here…how about talking to me?”