Seizure after surgery

My Mother had surgery last Friday, they could not go through the arteries, they had to cut open her skull. She had been having minor seizures for about 4 months but, in the recovery room, on the same day as her surgery, she had a Grand Mal seizure, while they were waking her. She was sedated and given seizure medication, and was finally taken off of sedation, yesterday morning. she is not waking up, and they say she may have a long recovery period. I am concerned that she may have had a stroke, as she was only moving her right side during sleep.

Can the seizure cause stroke-like symptoms?

Yes however its not truly a grand mal. It is a focal seizure, also called a partial seizure, affects only a small area of the brain. Its is not uncommon following surgery. This type of seizure can cause numbness and tingling leading to weakness on one side of the body. The side of the body affected depends upon the area of the brain where the seizure occurs. The numbness and weakness usually subsides with the seizure, which typically lasts a few seconds to a few minutes, Numbness and weakness on one side of the body, which lasts longer than the seizure, is known as Todd’s paralysis.

The partial or complete paralysis on one side of the body caused by Todd’s paralysis mimics the symptoms of a stroke. Those with Todd’s paralysis also often exhibit speech or vision impairments. The paralysis and impairments of Todd’s paralysis are temporary usually lasting from 30 minutes to 36 hours, with 15 hours as the average, according to the National Institute of Neurologic Disorders and Stroke. Unlike a stroke; however, patients completely recover from Todd’s paralysis.

In the case of surgery (craniotomy) it may take (as they have indicated) a while to recover as the likely cause is swelling/inflammation which can take months to recede. Generally it is not a “serious” problem as the dura has been opened and there is room for this swelling and the focal pressure is “minor” Minor meaning its not like a Traumatic brain injury where there is no room for the swelling to occur and damage is permanent.

TJ

1 Like

Thank you TJ, that is a more complete explanation than i have received from nursing staff. My Sister is point of contact, so i have not had a full conversation with the doctor.

The doctor had her sedated as she was continuing to have seizures, they kept increasing the dose of anti-seizure meds to get them under control. Will multiple seizures increase Todd’s paralysis? I understand that recovery could be difficult, is there a median recover time?

While at the hospital i asked the nurse if she had a stroke, she answered with Hemoragic Stroke. I do not want to get her into trouble, so i will confer with the doctor but, is it possible that she had a stroke as a result of, or after effect of the craniotomy?

A hemorrhagic stroke is either a brain aneurysm burst or a weakened blood vessel leak so the nurse didn’t say anything you didn’t know already, just used different words. Brain Bleed is another term.

The net effect of a “hemorrhagic stroke” is sort of like dropping your cell phone in the toilet. If you get it out quick enough and take care of it (I normally keep a bag of rice at the ready) everything comes back in time. Goof around and decide whether or not fishing it out is worthwhile and the results may may not be as great. Sounds like they are on top of things with your Mom. Humans are much more resilient than cell phones. yes multiple siezures can increase Todd’s paralysis (if thats what it is) but its sort of like hitting your thumb with a hammer. After awhile its really doesn’t matter after a few wacks. Its just takes longer to quit swearing…

TJ

1 Like

hind sight is 20/20. i am a little ignorant and may not have given all the info: Her surgery was pre-burst. they removed it prior to any leak/burst. (Sister said) Doc said: surgery went well, and they don’t know why she had the big seizure, and no stroke was evident. A hemorrhage, was discoved the following day, and a drain was inserted. Only heard it later from nurse the term “hemorrhagic stroke” (that is why i want to confirm with doctor).

being ignorant is causing me some stress, thank you for you help!!