Paranoid

My husband had his aneurysm a little over a year ago. 3 months ago he had to go in for a recoiling. They said since he fell after the first coiling it knocked it loose. I have never heard of such a thing.

Anyways things were fine with his moods till up to a month ago. He is paranoid of everything. I work during the day and he says people will walk around our place all day.. He works evenings and he says they are trying to push him out and make him quiet. We both are dishwashers in a sports bar. We both work with the same group of people..

I am not sure why all of a sudden he has this fear. He is even scared to go food shopping. Large groups of people have been bothering him. He thinks they are talking about him.

I wish there was something I could do to help. I feel alone and very frustrated. I don't yell at him I just listen to him babble on and try to reassure him all will be ok.

Please let there be someone out there who understands what I am going through...

It could be your husband is experiencing..."PTSD" Post Traumatic Stress disorder...which can include anxiety, fear, paranoid, depression, etc., Please have you and your husband talk to the Doctor and tell of these symptoms...there is help out there for him. ~ Cyber ~ Thoughts out to you both ~ Colleen

Thanks for the comments. He is on an antidepressant already. I don’t think it is working. I will call our doc first thing in the morning. I will keep u posted.

Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear about what you and your husband are going through right now, it sounds like it must be difficult for you both. I think Colleen and Liam have hit upon a likely angle with the PTSD markers which are certainly showing up in your husband's current behaviour and given his circumstances. Definitely the doctors dealing with his treatment need to know about his thoughts/behaviours at the moment, and I'm sure they'll be able to offer you help. It's certainly not unusual for people to have both physiological and psychological difficulties in these sorts of circumstances after a major health issue, so you certainly shouldn't feel alone or worry that it is an unheard of problem.

Relating to the coils... I've personally never heard about coils being knocked loose by a fall... but I suppose it might be possible in theory, although it doesn't really fit with my understanding of how coils operate. Many people do need extra coils added to their coiled aneurysms though, as coils can naturally move or compact over time without fully clotting/occluding the aneurysm. The extra coils that have been added will normally do the trick the second time, as they will work alongside the ones already inside the aneurysm and should lead to a better success rate.

I hope you are able to get some good help and advice from your husband's doctor and I hope things start to feel better for you both.

B.

Hi Lisa,

I've never heard of coils being "knocked loose" either...that being said, I think that since there is no question that your husbands brain has had some trauma with the 1st then the 2nd coiling (and also being hit n a fall?) then I'd say that PTSD could well have something to do with his paranoia.....Talk to his Neurologist perhaps (assuming he sees one) and if he's on meds now then maybe a change in his RX's are in order. Sometimes a switch from one to another is very helpful. Best of luck, Peace, Janet

hi Lisa, so sorry your going thru this but thank you for posting- its a great topic, I think ptsd is only the tip of the iceberg. In my research I have concluded it is mostly the damaged frontal lobe from the sah , this is why therapists put us in group settings to measure our social skills, and paranoia as well as the therapeutic value. One expert recommends a phsychologist at a rehab hospital that specializes in traumatic brain injuries. Of course I am not a dr just a sah survivor. I was extremely paranoid early on- my roommate was a gunshot victum who took 6 bullets and I thought shooter was coming back to finish the job and they would kill me too, then in next room step down I thought I was in a mental hospital and questioned the nurse cause a man was screaming he has to get out of there all night long, these paranoid feelings get better with time but I think professional help will accelerate improvement, 4 years post and I still couldn't go to a live support group- a man on baf invited me and I had to decline. The shopping fear gets better too, my first walmart trip I shall never forget0 I wanted to run out screaming but now i'm ok. Hang in there improvents are ahead~~ps you are on the right track- communication is key, don't yell, etc etc, I do not know exactly what your going thru but I am the flip side of the coin and can imagine having gone thru this, I'm so glad he has you- so loving and caring to post on his behalf, I applaud your efforts! Let us know-we truly care! This site was the best therapy for me and I hope one day your husband joins us~

Lisa, I know it must be very frustrating for you to deal with all your husbands changes. I know how he feels though b/c I am an 8 year survivor and I am also paranoid sometimes. I also do not socialize very well anymore. As much as we try, we will never be that person who went into surgery. Sometimes I feel bad for my husband b/c I know I am not the same person. I know I am very insecure now and it helps a lot when my husband gives me positive feed back. Not sure this was helpful.

Talk to your dr! When my primary dr mentioned PTSD, t thought she was joking. But I do have instances of fear, getting really pissed off, then my hot flashes start and it is an evil circle. A trip out to my barn to see my horse helps, but some days I think I had better talk to her re medication. Good luck, it is nothing to joke about!

I had a full anyruism in 2015, and then surgery to prevent a second one the a few months later. I am very lucky to be alive. However it has really presented some issues. I am on all the meds and take them as directed. But lately my Paranoia is getting much worse. I ask people if they are recording our phone calls, I have been very sure that new people in my life may be Private Detectives trying to collect information to be used against me… but only very few people in my life even are aware of this because I tell no one I feel this way. The most difficult time is when I am under a lot of financial, or work related stress. Not sure why it happens but it is an internal fight to keep it away and not feel crazy. As I type this… I am afraid it may be used against me in some way…many things have happened in my life to cause this. I have ACTUALLY been taken advantage of several times by people I trusted to different levels. This is probably normal life stuff, but with this condition it makes me feel that much more suspect of family and friends. I had a serious TBI, that caused lots of problems, and probably lead to the two anurisums. Anyway, I don’t have any ideas on how to stop this, but it’s an awful feeling, before all of this I was such a different person. It has ruined so many relationships with friends and potential partners, and it definitely contributed to costing my a 17 year marriage…but in the same way…several suspicions proved to be 100% true. Having TBI, and anurisms is something I wouldn’t wish on my worse enemy! Good luck to all who are survivors and their families… its hard I know!