Numbness

I am still numb on the side of my head near my right ear since my surgery. Does this eventually get better?

Hello Gayle, I am almost 9 months out from my craniotomy, and there is still a bit of numbness and tingling left in one spot, but nothing like it was 3 months ago. Gradually over time, it went away. I worked with a physical therapist for unrelated issues, and she suggested I gently massage the area for about 3 minutes a day; it helps keep the fascia loose and supple. As time went on, my scalp became really tight around the incision, and this helped. I still have a small area that periodically itches, it can drive me crazy because nothing seems to help. Also, getting used to the dent and the bumps has taken some time to adjust to.

JT, thank you for the reply. June 10th was my surgery and just recently I’ve felt the “bumps” people are speaking of, and my dent is very noticeable now. But, my hair was shaved and I’m hoping that when it grows back the dent in my temple won’t be so noticeable. I’m itching too!!

It will get better as time passes, no one but me notices the dents and bumps, aND I am slowly getting used to it.

JT said:

Hello Gayle, I am almost 9 months out from my craniotomy, and there is still a bit of numbness and tingling left in one spot, but nothing like it was 3 months ago. Gradually over time, it went away. I worked with a physical therapist for unrelated issues, and she suggested I gently massage the area for about 3 minutes a day; it helps keep the fascia loose and supple. As time went on, my scalp became really tight around the incision, and this helped. I still have a small area that periodically itches, it can drive me crazy because nothing seems to help. Also, getting used to the dent and the bumps has taken some time to adjust to.

A lot of itching is to be expected, as you probably have a lot of scarring. If anything like my situation, the temperal muscle will be left in pretty bad shape. I wish that were my biggest concern. as it will soon be over run by hair. A lot of numbness on the right side of my face is present,but that is not a big concern in the big picture. The loss of use of my right eye & left hand, as well as speech disability, balance issues & vestibular issues have been more difficult to navigate than any cosmetic worries