Muscle loss

I think a lot of my husbands weakness is coming from the massive amount of muscle he lost the month he was lying in the bed in the hospital not to mention the time he was in a coma. so this is what I found:

Remember that it takes time to regain strength after a period of immobility. A good rule of thumb: It takes twice the length of the period of immobility in a relatively healthy patient, and even longer in a clinically sick patient. Much of the strength improvement in the first one to two weeks after remobilization is due to central neurological "resynchronization." After that, strength increases are primarily due to muscle hypertrophy.

Before going into the hospital my husbands biceps were 22inches measured around. The reason I am pointing this out is now when I see him he has no and I mean NO muscle in is arms what so ever so I am really thinking and (hoping) that is muscle weakness and lack of being able to sit on his own and everything is because of this massive amount of muscle left. any comments and suggestions or experience would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

jet

heres the link lots of useful info:

http://physical-therapy.advanceweb.com/Article/Bed-rest-can-set-off-a-chain-of-complications.aspx

hi Jet! good topic! My therapist said the same thing- it takes a long time to build strength , I tried protein but did not see results and am now just trying to keep toned, it took me 2 yrs to walk 500 ft-the home therapist would walk me down our street and we guessed 500 ft, Take care jet and your husband and all of you are in my thiughts and prayers~~ hang in there I relly do think he will improve, I think its an inner drive that does this-shear willpower, but be patient it takes time to even realize whats going on, see you around hopefully~

thanks ron for the great reply and wow 2 yrs. that is a long time but am glad you did it :) and of course you will see me around.

Hi Jet,

You know, when I was in a 6 week coma in 2006...when i came out of it and was still in the hospital, I decided I really could use a shower...and a volenteer took me down the hall and took 1 flight down an elevator to the showers...I took my shower and on the walk back I saw a set of stairs...I said 'hey lets take the stairs!" (thinking this would be no big deal), well I stopped short on the 2nd or third step. it WAS a BIG deal--I was shocked! my legs felt like they were 500 lbs each as I tried like hell to make it up one, then another stairstep. I had to turn around and take the elevator! Now keep in mind that right before my collapse at work, I was the one in charge of unloading all the retail freight off the 40 foot trailers that frequently came in, and I had no problems at all with doing that. So to not be able to scale a flight of stairs completely put me back. I had no idea how that 6 weeks had truly changed not only my brain but my body too. I had lost 35 lbs in the hospital as well, (But to me that was a great benefit! talk about an easy/breezy diet !Lol) That stairwell though, blew my mind.

I started walking each day when I got home to try to gather up my strength, and it really did do the trick for me. I had some right sided weakness and my handwriting was horrrendous, but thru a lot of 'doing' I finally got thru that and even my handwriting is legible again. It can be a long winding road Jet, sometimes frustrating but very Do-able. My prayers to you both, Peace, Janet

When my aneurysm ruptured 17 months ago I was in the hospital 38days; 20 of those I don’t remember. I wasn’t in a coma I just lost those 20 days. My leg muscles were just like jello. Prior to the rupture I swam and I was an avid walker. Waking up to my muscles being gone was pretty bad. Slowly but surely that has improved a lot. I’m back to walking closer to a mile a day. It doesn’t sound like much but this time 2012 going around the block made me tired. Hang in there, go slow& rest when he is tired. Please tell him it gets better

Hi Myra and thanks for yourcomment. My husband was unable to hardly do anything a week ago hes been in rehab for a week and now he can hold a phone almost to his ear assist in washing upper part of his body and assist in putting his shirt on he can reach and move his head he can move his legs not easily though. He is just soooo weak he can not sit up by his self or walk yet.

thanks for your comment janet wow that is an amazing story thank you for sharing and thanks for the prayers!

Hey this is old! I’m closing it.