Dr wants Angiogram to confirm Aneurysm - yes or no?

Hi all;

I was recently diagnosed with “questionable” 2 mm aneurysm on the left ICA by an MRA. Neurologist just called me and wants to do an angiogram to confirm or deny it’s actual presence. He says its very safe, but I am really scared. He said if I don’t want to have an angiogram, we can continue scanning with MRAs, but it will likely continue to show up as “questionable”, as it may be an actual aneurysm, or something different like a looped artery or something. So now it’s up to me. I know the Angio will tell me 100% either way, but after reading the risks, I am scared of something going wrong and having a stroke or puncture during the procedure.

I wish they could knock me out for it, but he says I will be awake.

Do you recommend an Angio? And is it painful?

My wife had various checkups, each time with an angiogram, after the surgery and recovery for her ruptured aneurysm. Her experience with the angiograms was very good. None were painful. We were told that angiogram is the cadillac of tests because it sends an actual camera in to look at the area in question. I would suppose there is always a risk of something, but an experienced neurosurgeon (or whoever does it) should be trusted. From our experience, I would encourage you not to be afraid. Certain knowledge of the situation is best going forward. Wish you well!

2 Likes

Angiogram is considered a safe procedure but the procedure is conducted by the Neuro-Surgeon. I had 2 angiograms as a post surgery procedure to confirm the integrity of the coiling for the ruptured aneurysm. There was no pain but did feel a slight discomfort. I was administered a sedative and short acting pain medication. The entire procedure takes took about 30 minutes but it is required to rest in the hospital for 4 hours. I think that your NeuroSurgeon believes that angiogram is the best way to confirm whether your case is aneurysm or AVM.

1 Like

I had to have one after MRA and CT scan. It was quick and not painful at all. They sedate you with Versid and you feel nothing. Good luck

My husband had an angio and a CTangio pre-rupture. Neither was traumatic. On the other hand, both came back negative for bleeds, which in his case did not show until he had an MRI. So trust you dr., because he or she will know what they can learn from each test depending on your situation. Bottom line, no worries about angios.

Ask for a CT angio as an alternative. I had one after MRI provided an incorrect diagnosis. The CT angio, where only dye is injected, shows the arteries quite well and definitely showed an aneurysm instead of a meningioma in my case. I did go on to have the more invasive angiogram where they go up through the groin with a catheter, etc. prior to my surgery and again six months after my surgery. I was able to tolerate that quite well and I found the most difficult thing was to lie flat on my back for five hours after unable to use the bathroom.

ABSOLUTELY do angiogram. Neurosurgeon said I had I aneurysm that had bled. Angiogram showed I have 4, all needing surgery. Had worst one completed, waiting for another angiogram (cranialgram when they go to your brain) to view other 3 to set procedure for the next one.

1 Like

Hi. I have had 5 angiogram procedures done since 2005. I recommend having one. My neurosurgeon says that this is the best procedure to get a clear picture of a brain aneurysm. I had my most recent one in November 2016, 5 years post craniotomy and 11 years post coiling. I was nervous like you as well. I was sedated for the very first one 6 months after the coiling in 2006 and I was so out of it that I didn’t feel a thing during the procedure. Recovery went well. I was knocked out for the one before my craniotomy in 2011. I was given a choice to be sedated or knocked out for the one in 2016 and I chose to be knocked out due to my nerves. It is a safe procedure but does have its risks just like any other procedure. I was a little sore at the puncture sight at my groin but that’s it. Best of luck to you!

An angiogram will tell you one way or the other what’s going on in there. Personally, I’d rather know. Mine have all been a piece of cake. Versed is used so you won’t remember it, and the pictures of the blood vessels are amazing.

My surgeon recommended me to have one and it showed that I had two small annies on top of the existing big one. You don’t really feel anything while they are doing it but you are sore in your groin after the surgery for about a week. Yu can definitely tell you have had something done but it is not unbearable. I would consider getting it done if I were you!

Wonder have you decided to take the Angiogram yet? My sister and brother are also told to take them since one is small 2-3mm, and the other is a probable AVM. Good luck on your decisions.

i am a survivor and i go for an angiogram every year and apparantly it does confirm the aneurysm

I have had 8 angiograms since 2003. Sore in the groin. My dr said very slight risk with angiogram. Like less than 1%. I’ve been scared every time. But like everyone else mine went very well. For me knowing what the heck was going on was worth being scared.

Hello to all,
I’m scheduled for an angiogram next Thursday. So a week from today. I had a ruptured aneurysm that was coiled and I had a stent pit in as well. I started getting headaches again and that’s why I’m going in for another angiogram. Has anyone experienced headaches 2 years after coiling and stenting? Thanks