Cluster Headache sufferers from surgery

I’ve been through a clipping for an SAH as well and I’ve had headaches for the last ten years - tried and failed multiple meds and finally found relief with cymbalta

I finally said ENOUGH! and started a low dose of Elavil (amitriptyline HCl) 10mg per day, supposed to work up to 20 mg per day. It's preventing the daily headache, but it isn't a 100% success, and it causes me to be slow in the mornings. I'm also worried about other side effects (significant weight gain), so I'm going to follow up again next month to see if it's the best option out there. The CDC has clamped down on prescription writing for pain killers, so if you're relying on something that's a narcotic, be prepared to make a switch. If you're taking something that's non-narcotic and it's working, please share so that others know what to ask for. I'm surprised at how little PCP's and even neurologists know their meds - it's frustrating!

Elavil (amitriptyline HCl)

Hello, we are having the same issues with my wife. We understand your frustration. We are looking for others al

Our neurologist put us both on Magnesium Oxide at different doses. My mother’s doctor also put her on it. Can’t remember if it was her cardiologist or her PCP. I also had the sphenoganglia block. I only had the one, some people need two or three. I rarely get a headache now unless I overdo it. Partner takes it for some type of migraine and it has stopped all those symptoms. According to our Neurologist, most Americans do not get enough magnesium in their diet. It does have to be followed so make sure to speak to your provider. Also here where I live, the pharmacist keeps it back with the prescribed drugs and you have to tell them why you need it and which doctor ordered it, etc.

Alternatives… .? Has anyone suffering from headaches had success with a bite guard. I wake up with headaches from clenching my teeth, but have heard some migrainuers who have gotten relief from the bite guard. I got one and it was great for 4-6 weeks, then headaches started back again. Appears I figured out a work around and I am cross biting on the guard. Mine only covers the top teeth, now I’m learning they make appliances that are hinged to prevent cross biting. My neurologist thinks this is a gimmick and that it won’t work. She’s big on Vitamin D therapy. I’ve also started CBD oil from hemp which seems to be helping tremendously, but it took about 2 weeks to see a difference. Experiences with alternative treatments?

Hey this is old, closing it so please start a new topic!