Bonk on the head afer coiling

Hello all -
I am 5 weeks post coiling and subsequent rupture just as we were being discharged from hospital. I am back at work as of this week and things have been going fairly well. My question is this I hit the left rear of my head on the headboard this afternoon while the aneurysm was in my right temporal area of my head. I have been kind of sick to my stomach all evening despite taking some ibuprofen and benedryl to stave off the slight headache in the right temporal side. Is it normal to feel a bump that takes place on another area of your skull in the side that had the coiling done? I think I am just needing to know if theses sorts of minor bumps will always cause these issues or if with more time to heal things won’t be as sensitive. Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

Laura, I wish you could see me sitting on the couch pitting my hands on my head…it’s sorta like the Macarena. I gave myself a nasty bump when I was released. Had an egg where I hit the top of my skull on the floor joist down in the cellar. My Neuro made me come in. She had an MRA without contrast done. Gave me the lecture of headaxhe, nausea, stiff neck or combo of at least two go to the ER. So what I guess I’m saying is give the doc a call.

For me, the aneurysm neck is still open 1mm. Back then, I think she was worried I would dislodge the coils and stop the healing process. I had ruptured and had vasospasms for 26 days, so a little different then your experience.

But it doesn’t hurt to call the doctor, heck they may be the Neuro on call this weekend.

Laura...definitely encourage you to call your neuro...

Thanks for the advice (and the funny animation I got when I read your reply ;) ) - I did end up calling the on call line. Advised to watch for any signs of headache, nausea etc, stiff or sore neck, vision problems of right eye.

So far so good but it was just weird ... I have hit my head on things before like that like getting out of the car etc that were much more forceful (painful) ... this was just an accidental bump to the back as I was cleaning but I swear it felt like a very very minor shock wave traveled to the right front of my head...when all this heals, say over the course of 6 months or a year, will small bumps like that not cause as much of a bother? I am just wondering in general, I know we all heal differently and there are other variables.

Moltroub said:

Laura, I wish you could see me sitting on the couch pitting my hands on my head...it's sorta like the Macarena. I gave myself a nasty bump when I was released. Had an egg where I hit the top of my skull on the floor joist down in the cellar. My Neuro made me come in. She had an MRA without contrast done. Gave me the lecture of headaxhe, nausea, stiff neck or combo of at least two go to the ER. So what I guess I'm saying is give the doc a call.

For me, the aneurysm neck is still open 1mm. Back then, I think she was worried I would dislodge the coils and stop the healing process. I had ruptured and had vasospasms for 26 days, so a little different then your experience.

But it doesn't hurt to call the doctor, heck they may be the Neuro on call this weekend.

Thanks patioplans - I always feel like I bother when I call so I try to do as much self care, research etc. before my final option of reaching out to the on call but in this case you and Moltroub helped me make that decision to call. Thanks to you both for your help on this.

patioplans said:

Laura...definitely encourage you to call your neuro...