Balance issues after my fix

First I want to thank those who posted about balance issues. I thought it was only me. I had 4 aneurysms fixed last year with PEDs. 2 on my right side (6.5mm and 2mm ophthalmic artery) and 2 on my left side (5.7mm and 2mm internal carotid artery). My first angiogram was great, all closed or close). My problem is with balance issues. If it’s too hot I weave sometimes. If I stop and go instead of continuous movement my legs feel like wood. Very strange feeling. I can walk for 60 minutes straight with no problem but stop and go you never know. I asked my Drs about it and they say everything in you head looks good, you’re fine. I thought it was just me but seeing so many others have posted about their balance makes me know I’m not alone. Thank you! I just want to know does this continue or get better over time. I’m pretty active with walking and Zumba but there are times I just need to sit down and wait. I welcome any comments.

My wife experiences exactly what you described. Hers was fixed after rupturing December 19, 2011. Walking straight is fine. Turning, stopping, starting, looking a different direction while walking, changing levels are all challenges. She says sometimes that her walking is “humpy bumpy!” Sometimes her left ankle feels wobbly.

1 Like

Mine happens at different times. If I’m shopping and stop and go then after some time my legs just feel so heavy hence my wooden legs as I call it. I weave sometimes after I’ve been sitting too long or in the heat. If you ever hear of a solution please let me know. I’m 60 but still too young to feel like this.

Thanks for responding

I would schedule appointment with TBI/Concussion clinic that evaluates dizziness. Ear, Nose, Throat is another resource but those arteries are not near vestibular systems. (You may want to ask your physicians). At this clinic, they will run a battery of test to degree of dizziness. Hopefully, there is a Physical therapist who specialty is dizziness and/or vertigo. In my case, I suffer from chronic vertigo and imbalance dizziness problems. They are separate issue. My primary cause of vertigo is due to my double vision. For imbalance problems, it is more like a wobble and incoordination like you are drunk. I used to have real difficulty walking up the stairs unaided but it was improved over time. Good luck. If you find the right person (physician, physical therapist), your quality of life will definitely improved managing dizziness through medication, physical therapy, or prism glasses. Uncheck, it is awful. (Believe me, I know)

Thanks for the reply. Others have mentioned ear/nose/throat. I had pretty good balance before my PEDs were put in. My son is a PT so I’ll ask him too. I don’t drink but I do tell people when I have a dizzy spell it seems like I might have been drinking. I’ll check into some of your suggestions. So glad I found this site to ask questions.

MiMi,

I found this paper to be really helpful.

http://learn.chm.msu.edu/NeuroEd/neurobiology_disease/content/otheresources/vestibulardisorders.pdf

It discusses most of vestibular issues that causes vertigo but it also discusses other forms of dizziness not associated with vestibular system. In my case, I had both central vestibular disorder which caused majority of my vertigo in the form of nystagmus and double vision. However, I also had imbalance problem that you described where I get whobbly standing or walking up the stairs. It is like looking at an infant walking for the first time. It made walking up the stairs challenging leaving me mentally fatigued. I recommend video taping how you look when you get a dizzy episodes so your physicians can evaluate your condition. A dizzy clinic (TBI) can perform a more through evaluation on your dizzy state. Consult with your physicians whether you are OK for rigorous physical exercise (stationary bike). My Neuro-Surgeon recommended hard core exercise to help with the imbalance. Recent study showed that rigorous exercise helps with brain injuries. Good luck. I have been living with dizziness over the past 3 years after my rupture by the brain stem.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. Will look into some of this.

Try to see a physical therapist. It sounds like vestibular therapy might help you out. I had balance issues (I felt like I was drunk whenever I walked) after my ruptured/coiled annie. I went to my ENT, and he said everything was fine on his end (ears, etc looked great); therefore, he referred me to a physical therapist. She has done wonders for my “dizziness” when I walk. I almost feel completely normal now.

I also went to an ENT and all was fine there. I just finished 4 weeks of PT. I don’t get dizzy I just walk off balance now and then. Mostly when over heated or I stop and go with my walking instead of continually walking. I did learn some core strengthening exercises and hope that will help. I’m hoping it’s just a matter of time thing but I’ll keep up the exercises.
Thanks.

Took your advice and went for PT (My son’s clinic). I did well with the exercises and I continue to do them at home 2 to 3 days a week. I still get off balanced at times but it’s mostly when I’m too warm or I’m not in continuous motion. I’ll continue with the exercises and see what happens over time. At times I do feel normal!

I am so glad you are beginning to feel a little more normal. It took me about four weeks to feel normal, but you WILL get there - keep us posted. Feel better and take it slow and take care!!

Still off balanced at times. Heat or cold affect me and if I stop and go instead of continuously walking but hey I’m here!