25 with an unruptured aneurysm

I was diagnosed in August of 2016 with a 3mm unruptured aneurysm in my left ICA. It was found incidentally during a CT scan during an ER visit for something unrelated. Following my diagnosis, I met with neurosurgeons at Beth Israel, learned more about my situation, and left the appointment with the understanding that I would watch it year after year, because it was small and I was young.

This August, one year later, I went back to the same neurosurgeons. After looking at my most recent MRI, they explained to me that treatment was my choice- I could choose to have it treated (they would do an angio to see if I qualified for the pipeline) or I could leave it be. They recommended surgery because I was so young and that the surgery would likely be successful. They said that because of where my aneurysm was, and the size it was, often it wouldn’t display any changes before it ruptured. I left that appointment terrified, in disbelief, and angry. I thought I would only have to watch it year after year, and if there were changes to my aneurysm, then surgery would be recommended.

I am only 25. I have no symptoms of my aneurysm, and I would have never known I had an aneurysm if not for that fateful CT scan. I am struggling with the thought process behind making a decision. If I choose to have surgery, it could be a success, or something could happen during surgery or there could be lasting effects. If I choose not to have surgery, I could either live my entire life with no rupture, or something catastrophic could happen if it ruptured. I feel paralyzed because I don’t want to make the wrong decision, although there may not be a “right” decision.

Because I am the first person in my family to be found with an aneurysm, and because most of my friends are completely healthy, I don’t have anyone to talk to. I should rephrase that- I have people to talk to, but they don’t know the extent of my fears, nor can they truly relate. I have so much anxiety around my aneurysm and the decision to treat or not, it could eat me alive if I let it. I have really been ignoring the problem to be honest- I ran a half marathon a couple weeks ago, and did a triathlon a few months ago.

I am reaching out with my story to see if there are others in the same boat- either age or an incidental finding, or something like that. If there is anyone who can offer some guidance. Or, if anyone knows a good therapist in the Boston area- taking any suggestions!

1 Like

Hey C. I am not 25. But we do have somethings in common. I found out I had 2 aneuryms 14 years ago because my brother had an aneurysm rupture 15 years ago. I was on the watch and wait program for10 years. No symptoms. 5 years ago I had a pipeline stent put in with basically zero problems. A headache and tired for a couple weeks. In August of 2017 I had an angiogram to check the pipeline’s blood flow. It was fine but they found 2 new ones.September 2017 I had a pipeline put in to cover the 2 new aneurysms. It was a much tougher recovery. Terrible headache for pretty much a month. No sense of taste and altered sense of smell. Memory issues as well. Two and a half months later all of these issues have corrected themselves or are improving.
I watched my brother deal with a ruptured brain aneurysm. It was a terrific battle to recover, Pipeline is the least invasive. Most important detail is to make sure your Dr. has done a lot of the selected procedure.
Good luck on your journey. I hope I have helped. Hang in there.

1 Like

Second (and third) opinions can’t hurt. I realized really early that I had little knowledge and I would have to trust the professionals. All the best to you!

1 Like

Hi i am also 25 diagnosed with 8 unruptured aneurysms, 4 on each side. Did you ever go thru with the surgeries, I decided to go ahead and have the surgery to clip them but i am wondering how long it will take to recover

I had an undiagnosed aneurysm that ruptured. It was repaired via coiling and I had 100% recovery. Though my doctors stressed that it was the “gold standard” of recovery and not usually expected. A few months after the coiling I went in for an angiogram and the aneurysm had “re established” itself enough to cause concern. Like you, my doctors suggested surgery since I am young (32) and healthy. I had complete trust in the neurology team (Rhode Island Hospital) and my surgeon so I went right ahead and got the clipping surgery two weeks later. Thankfully everything has gone very well and once again I have completely recovered. The statistics of brain surgery can be very intimidating. My surgeon of course warned me about everything that could happen, but also felt strongly that I would have a good recovery due to my age. He was right.

1 Like

hello, i am also not 25 but 36 but apparently also count to the young and healthy ones that should be able to deal with an open brain surgery (clipping) (?). anyway, i am so scared too and i really understand what you’re going through… i have no idea what to do either… right now i’m waiting for my angiogram and to be honest, this also really scares me and i have no actual idea what to expect from that test and how invasive this is. i’m considering to find a doctor who would recommend to do it endovascular eventhough i feel deep inside that i’ll just have to go through it and probably operate it. i’m scared too and i really wanted to learn how to do a handstand this year and now i shouldn’t. write me if you want to talk, this is a very strange, absurd and crazy scary trip we’re taking right now. all the best for you, olivia

I totally agree with you, i am a nervous wreck now. I am 5 days away from the surgery and i am just so scared. I am praying to God to see me through. If you have just one maybe they can do the less invasive coiling but the risk with that is that they may return. I also asked my doctor if we can do the less invasive method and he said i have way too many of them so we have to do clipping surgery so they dont return.

1 Like

Hello, yes I can imagine… in 5 days so on saturday the 10th? I’ll be thinking of you! Do you know how long the surgery will be? And will they clip all 8 at the same time?
I wish you lots of strenghts and love and support from your friends and family. :wink: olivia

Its actually Friday morning. I have 4 on each side left and right. We are clipping the 4 on the right side first because they are bigger. Then clipping the left side in 14 days. I dont quite know how long the surgery will be but they said ill be in the hospital for 3-5 days. This is the craziest thing i have ever experiences but i have faith ill be just fine. This forum gives me strength. Thank you so much for your kind words Olivia, i will be praying for you too.

2 Likes

thank you!!! im just trying to calculate the time difference so ill think of you on friday morning texas time :slight_smile:
i wont forget :wink:
i hope you have lots of support from your family and friends and that you can also enjoy some moments of solitude and calm, breathing and being alive and embracing the chance to be diagnosed in time and come out of your surgery healthier, hapier and aneurysm free :sunny:
thinking of you and all the best! olivia

@Skatwooki, how are you doing? ive been thinking of you so much (since thursday night actually already :wink:) and the whole day friday, of course, sending you strenghts and luck and love and wondering how you are. i didnt write yet because i know you’ll probably not chat anytime too soon but now i couldnt wait any longer to let you know that im thinking of you and hope everything went well :+1:
i wish you all the best, excited to hear from you hopefully soon and ill keep doing that until both surgeries are over and you write that you’re fine :slightly_smiling_face: all the best from berlin, get well, olivia

2 Likes